The MFA in Film Production at the University of British Columbia focuses on the areas of directing, screenwriting and producing live action narrative or documentary film for students who already have a comprehensive background in filmmaking and wish to pursue a specific creative or intellectual vision in an academic environment. Our graduate and student work has screened at film festivals across the globe, and graduates have had key roles in films as diverse as District 9, 65 Red_Roses, She's a Boy I Knew and The Editor.
UBC offers the only Master's Degree in Film Production in Western Canada, and is one of the few MFA Film Production programs in the world to require an undergraduate degree in film production to be considered. Our courses are advanced and small; only 1-2 students are accepted every year out of the 30-40 that apply.
UBC MFA Film Production graduates can be found working in the film industry as producers, screenwriters, and directors. Some also choose to pass on what they have learned by working as instructors and professors at educational institutions. Many serve on the boards of film organizations or serve on juries at film awards.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Advanced Problems in Directing
- Advanced Production for Film and Television
- Advanced Documentary Development and Production
- Directed Studies in Film Production
- Alternative Cinema Production
- Advanced Writing for the Screen.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media View 32 other Masters in Film, Photography & Media in Canada
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Normally, applicants for a master's degree program must hold the academic equivalent of a four-year bachelor's degree from UBC including one of the following:
- A minimum overall average in the B+ range (76% at UBC) in third- and fourth-year courses.
- Academic standing with at least 12 credits of third- or fourth-year courses in the A grade range (80% or higher at UBC) in the field of study.
- Most three-year, Bologna-compliant degrees from research-intensive universities are acceptable as a basis for admission to master's programs at UBC.
International8952 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8952 CAD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National5095 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5095 CAD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.