The MFA in Film Production at the University of British Columbia focuses on the areas of directing, screenwriting and producing live action narrative or documentary film for students who already have a comprehensive background in filmmaking and wish to pursue a specific creative or intellectual vision in an academic environment. Our graduate and student work has screened at film festivals across the globe, and graduates have had key roles in films as diverse as District 9, 65 Red_Roses, She's a Boy I Knew and The Editor.
UBC offers the only Master's Degree in Film Production in Western Canada, and is one of the few MFA Film Production programs in the world to require an undergraduate degree in film production to be considered.
UBC MFA Film Production graduates can be found working in the film industry as producers, screenwriters, and directors. Some also choose to pass on what they have learned by working as instructors and professors at educational institutions. Many serve on the boards of film organizations or serve on juries at film awards.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced Problems in Directing
- Advanced Production for Film and Television
- Advanced Documentary Development and Production
- Directed Studies in Film Production
- Alternative Cinema Production
- Advanced Writing for the Screen.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Film, Photography & Media View 35 other Masters in Film, Photography & Media in Canada
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- All applicants have to submit transcripts from all past post-secondary study. Document submission requirements depend on whether your institution of study is within Canada or outside of Canada.
- A minimum of three references are required for application to graduate programs at UBC. References should be requested from individuals who are prepared to provide a report on your academic ability and qualifications.
- Applicants should apply without contacting individual faculty members prior to the application. Identification of potential faculty members in the application form is optional. Faculty members will review applications of applicants they are interested in and get in touch as part of the applicant evaluation.
- Permanent Residents of Canada must provide a clear photocopy of both sides of the Permanent Resident card.
International8952 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8952 CAD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National5095 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5095 CAD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.