This unique English language programme focuses on the rapidly changing field of media and communication in a European context.
This Communication Studies: New Media and Society in Europe programme at Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB) gives you the unique opportunity to study in an environment with all European institutions right at hand. The European Union plays a crucial role in media and communication policies. It has tried to foster a single European market in media and services. Through several large programmes, it has stimulated innovation and the emergence of a European Information Society. The European Commission’s current Digital Agenda for Europe sets the framework for the coming years. In this master programme, you will gain an understanding of European policy and policymaking in the fields of media, innovation and the internet.
The traineeship is offered as an elective. The fundamental goal is to have practical training and acquire practical skills. The traineeship programme aims for students to operationalize and test, in a professional environment, the theoretical knowledge obtained in following the Master. This allows them to develop professional skills and competences while networking; all with their future career in mind. It also spurs our students to critically (self-) reflect on both the institutional environment and company/organization, as well as on personal development (knowledge-building, skills, strengths and weaknesses, ...) during the traineeship.
At VUB, the Career Center bundles all traineeship options for each "branche", to keep an overview. In Brussels, these options seem endless!
All degree programmes offered by VUB are accredited by the Dutch-Flemish Accreditation Organisation (NVAO), ensuring that they meet the highest predefined quality standards. Alongside this official quality control system, VUB has an internal Quality Control Commission in charge of permanently monitoring the quality of education.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- European Media and Communication Policies
- Theories on Media, Technology and Society
- Brussels Talking: Europe, Media and Society (Lecture Series)
- Users and Innovation in Digital Media
- Critical Issues in Media Economics
- Master Thesis
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesCommunication Sciences European Studies Media Studies & Mass Media View 18 other Masters in European Studies in Belgium
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- English language proficiency (see below for minimal criteria)
- Academic degree(s) already acquired in a relevant study field
- Grades scored in previous studies (upload all higher educational transcripts of records)
- Quality of motivation letter, including the fit between your motivation and what we offer
Other relevant experience
- The programme is primarily aimed at students with an academic bachelor or master degree, preferably in the field of Social Sciences (Political Science, Sociology, Communication Studies, or related) or Economic Sciences (Applied Economics, Business, Management) with more than average results. Admission is dependent on selection. Students from other relevant fields (such as computer sciences, engineering, languages) can also apply, but need to motivate extensively why they consider this program a fit with their future ambitions and background.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International3850 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3850 EUR per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA962 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 962 EUR per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Brussels
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.