Egyptology - Coptology from The American University in Cairo provides students with a unique opportunity to gain insight and experience from leading international experts on a wide range of topics, from language and religion to art, architecture and the social structure of the ancient Egyptians. Being ideally situated in Egypt, AUC Egyptology students have the chance to visit historic sites, excavations, and museums that they learn about in their classes, as well as gain hands-on experience, as well as meet scholars specializing in their areas of interest.
The graduate program will help prepare students for careers in Egyptology/Coptology and for further studies in the discipline. It takes full advantage of being located in Egypt where students can visit and study the monuments in context, as well as gain practical experience in their chosen field. The program is designed to expose students to different aspects of the discipline, teach them to think critically and creatively, and put into practice the academic skills that they are acquiring. To ensure AUC graduates a high quality of academic opportunity and flexibility, these programs follow international guidelines for similar degrees at accredited institutions in the USA and Europe.
- Advanced Method and Theory: Archaeological and Historical
- Research Seminar: Research Design and Writing
- Material Culture: Looking at Artifacts in Context
- Site Analysis
- Field Work
- Culture and Society of Ancient Egypt
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies History Language Studies View 8 other Masters in History in Egypt
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at The American University in Cairo and/or in Egypt, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Applicants seeking admission to the graduate program should have an undergraduate degree of high standing (3.0 equivalent to a B or higher), and pass the Egyptology Unit’s English language proficiency test (if deemed necessary).
- Applicants for graduate study must have an accredited Bachelor’s degree with an academic record at a level sufficient to qualify for full or provisional admission.
- An online application for graduate studies
- Online payment of the application fee
- A statement of purpose
- At least two online letters of recommendation from persons familiar with your academic or professional background
- Official academic records
- Satisfactory English language proficiency test results
- Graduate students may be asked to demonstrate minimum competency in the use of computers and academic libraries as they relate to graduate study and research
- One recent passport size photograph (a clear electronic copy)
International17640 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 735 USD per credit during 12 months.
National14328 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 597 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Cairo
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.