A special emphasis is placed on experimental research. During the programme students complete two research projects – 12 weeks each – and a Master’s thesis (six months). Aside from the practical work, students attend specific lectures, tailored to the different specializations.
Graduates can apply the theory, methods, techniques and instruments in the area of biology in a targeted, correct and responsible fashion. They are therefore able to participate in solving fundamental questions in the Life Sciences. Alumni are qualified for demanding tasks at universities, in the pharmaceutic and chemical industry, in biomedical research and development or in the public sector.
The Biology degree programme offered by ETH Zurich - Swiss Federal Institute of Technology is directed towards students with a strong interest in basic research. A wide range of knowledge in natural sciences and experience in experimental work is expected.
- Ecology and Evolution
- Microbiology and Immunology
- Cell Biology
- Molecular Health Sciences
- Molecular Plant Biology
- Systems Biology
- Molecular and Structural Biology
- Biological Chemistry
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- In the Master programme, experimental research is at the center of the education.
- Two twelve-week research projects and the Master thesis (six months) are carried out in freely chosen research laboratories.
- In addition to this practical work, students attend specific concept courses and other lectures assigned to the individual majors.
- The specialisation in the Master programme is independent of the courses attended in the Bachelor programme
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesBiology Biochemistry Genetics View 39 other Masters in Biology in Switzerland
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Admission to the degree programme presupposes a university Bachelor’s degree comprising at least 180 ECTS credits(1 or an equivalent university degree in a discipline the content of which – also with regard to any additional academic requirements within the given framework – satisfies the pertaining academic prerequisites.
- A Bachelor's degree qualifies its holder for admission to an ETH Master's degree programme only if it also qualifies said holder to enter, without additional requirements, the desired Master's degree programme within the university system where the Bachelor's degree was acquired.
- Attendance of the Master’s degree programme in Biology presupposes basic knowledge and skills in the Natural Sciences and subject-specific knowledge and competences connected with the selected specialisation.
International1324 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 662 EUR per semester during 18 months.
National1324 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 662 EUR per semester during 18 months.
- Tuition fee: CHF 730/Semester
Living costs for Zürich
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.