Biochemistry is a scientific discipline at the interface of chemistry and biology. Biochemistry attempts to describe, reconstruct and even furhter develop, on a chemical and physical level, molecular processes occuring in living nature.
The results of research in biochemistry help understand molecular causes of diseases on an atomic and quantitative level.
Pharmaceutical research and development build up on fundamental biochemical findings.
But, results of biochemical research are furthermore found in biotechnology, in envirnmental protection, in nutrition industry, and very likly in informatics in the near future.
And, gradually biochemistry will become a key area when chemical processes have to be rendered less harmful to the environment.
The Master’s degree in Biochemistry from University of Zurich is the professional qualification for research activities in the life sciences.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Progress reports
- Research Project
- Master's thesis, 6-months research project
- Biochemistry: An Overview
- Protein crystallography and electron microscopy
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesChemistry Biology Biochemistry View 13 other Masters in Biochemistry in Switzerland
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
The following academic degrees exempt the holder from having to pass any further examinations for admission to the a Master’s degree course:
- A Bachelor's degree from the Faculty of Science of the University of Zurich, whereby the Faculty determines which types of the Bachelor's degree are required for admission to the respective Master's degree courses.
- Corresponding degrees of Swiss and foreign universities which are generally recognized by the Faculty, or recognized by subject. In terms of paragraph 1, such degrees are reviewed according to the stipulations of § 3 of the Bologna guideline of the Swiss University Conference.
International1312 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 656 EUR per semester during 18 months.
National1312 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 656 EUR per semester during 18 months.
- Tuition fee is 720 CHF per semester
Living costs for Zürich
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.