You focus on media as tools for global social and political change with a strong emphasis on the role of civil society and (alternative) media organisations.
Social media, citizen journalism, activist media, participatory media and specialised broadcast media are successfully used to inform and engage audiences outside established channels of communication for issues such as:
- social inequality
- human rights
- gender issues
- environmental change.
CareersCivil society institutions, social movements and international development agencies increasingly require skilled and creative people to apply digital media technologies in enhancing their capacity to communicate, interact and influence within and across borders.Media Practice for Development and Social Change degree offered at University of Sussex has been developed specifically for those seeking employment in:
- global or national media industries
- NGOs and the international voluntary sector
- international development institutions
- independent media production companies.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Media Project for Development and Social Change
- Media Project for Development and Social Change with Placement
- Activist Media Practice
- Contemporary African Issues
- Decolonising Development
- Doing Gender in Theory and Practice
- Interactive Project Development
- Livelihoods, Inequalities and Rural Change
- Photography: Documentary, Landscape, Politics
- Postcolonial and Decolonial Epistemologies
- Race, Culture and the Media
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesSociology International Development Journalism View 314 other Masters in International Development in United Kingdom
You should normally have an upper second-class (2.1) undergraduate honours degree or above.
- Subject-specific requirements
Your qualification can be in any subject. You can also apply for this course if you have relevant work experience or you submit a portfolio of work.
International19300 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 19300 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9250 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Channel Islands and Isle of Man students: £9,250 per year for full-time students
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.