We offer a high-level scientific education that combines a solid theoretical background with real hands-on experimental skills and critical thinking.
At the Master in Chemistry at Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB) , you work in modern, state-of-the-art labs and you are part of a dynamic interuniversity research group. The close ties with the VUB’s bio- and civil engineering departments also illustrate the multidisciplinary nature of our chemistry teaching. The experience you gain during your studies provides direct access to a PhD within the fields of organic, environmental or computational chemistry.
A master degree opens doors in many different branches and sectors. You will be able to work in the private sector, (non-) governmental organisations, or continue your academic career as a PhD researcher. Not sure what your next step should be? The VUB helps you with your first steps on the job market.
Did you know that Belgian companies are constantly searching for chemists? In Belgium, chemists are among the best-paying jobs. The Master in Chemistry prepares you for an interesting career in one of the most research intensive and growing sectors worldwide. Graduates work in a wide range of areas: in research, production, laboratories, sales and management. A number of chemists work in government labs, in food safety and research, production of drinking water, waste management and many other environmental aspects. In medical labs, hospitals and the pharmaceutical industry there is also a growing need for chemists.
All degree programmes offered by VUB are accredited by the Dutch-Flemish Accreditation Organisation (NVAO), ensuring that they meet the highest predefined quality standards. Alongside this official quality control system, VUB has an internal Quality Control Commission in charge of permanently monitoring the quality of education.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Applications in Analytical and Environmental Sciences
- Analytical Methods for Material Characterization
- Environmental Analysis
- Multiscale Modelling
- Communication Skills
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesChemistry Molecular Sciences Biochemistry View 11 other Masters in Biochemistry in Belgium
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- For Bachelors in science, applied science and life sciences, admission will be evaluated based on academic records and skills.
- To be accepted applicants should have the equivalent of at least an upper second class honours degree (overall mark of more than 70%) and have written a Bachelor’s dissertation (with at least 6% weight of the bachelor credits).
- Chemical Theory, (Bio-)Molecular Design and Synthesis: applicants are required to have a solid background in organic and quantum chemistry.
- Analytical and Environmental Chemistry: a solid background in analytical/inorganic and organic chemistry is required. Applicants who have a background in environmental chemistry, geochemistry, environmental science and technology are also encouraged to apply.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International3248 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3248 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA962 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 962 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Brussels
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.