The Socioeconomic and Political Development of Modern Asia programmes from National Research University - Higher School of Economics (HSE) enables students to hone their knowledge and skills, preparing them for international careers in academia, diplomacy, or with non-governmental and governmental corporations. The programme has a partnership with City University of Hong Kong.
What are the benefits of the programme?
This MA Programme has the distinction of being the sole Programme on Asian Studies in Russia, taught in English language. It is also unique in using written sources in the languages of Asian regions as the fundamental teaching and research material. This is the only MA Programme focused on Contemporary Asian Studies. Students from different countries participate in this Programme, creating the benefit of global intellectual interaction.
Students, who graduated from our Master’s programme "Socio-economic and Political Development of Modern Asia", are highly demanded in:
- Governmental organizations which are closely related to the countries of Asia and Africa. (Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Economic Development, Ministry of Education and Science, Governing Institutions of the Regions).
- International and intergovernmental organizations, in particular, the departments of the SCO and the UN;
- Expert, industrial and governmental research organizations, which are involved in the analysis of the political and economic environment of the East.
- Institutions of the higher education associated with the countries of Asia and Africa.
- Informational agencies and mass media. (ITAR-TASS, RIA-Novosti, “The Voice of Russia”, VGTRK, “Russia Today” etc).
- Organizations of the science and research. (Institute of Oriental Studies (of the Russian Academy of Sciences), Institute of Far Eastern studies (RAS), IMEMO etc.).
- Сompanies that have an economic interest in broadening our cooperation with the East. (Gazprom, Lukoil, Transneft etc.)
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The Key Problems in Asian Studies Research
- Entrepreneurship and Business in Asia
- Islam and Politics
- Constitutional Struggles in the Muslim World
- Methodology of Contemporary Asian Studies
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEconomics Sociology Linguistics View 4 other Masters in Sociology in Russia
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Diploma and academic transcripts
- If you have not yet received your Bachelor’s diploma, please submit an official copy of your most recent academic transcript including all courses completed and grades received.
Letter of motivation (about 1000 characters)
- In your letter of motivation, please discuss 1) why you are applying to this program, 2) why you have chosen to specialize in this field, and 3) your academic and professional interests connected to Asia. Please reference your previous educational, academic, or professional experiences that are connected with this focus (for example, research, trainings, civil service, teaching, entrepreneurship, etc.).
- Letters of motivation will be evaluated for content, structure, and narrative style.
Letter of recommendation
Essay (10,000-12,000 characters)
- All applicants must submit an original essay that addresses issues of development in Asia.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International2200 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2200 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
- 195 000 – 390 000 RUB/year
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.