The Socioeconomic and Political Development of Modern Asia programme from National Research University - Higher School of Economics (HSE) enables students to hone their knowledge and skills, preparing them for international careers in academia, diplomacy, or with non-governmental and governmental corporations. The programme has a partnership with City University of Hong Kong.
What are the benefits of the programme?
This MA Programme has the distinction of being the sole Programme on Asian Studies in Russia, taught in English language. It is also unique in using written sources in the languages of Asian regions as the fundamental teaching and research material. This is the only MA Programme focused on Contemporary Asian Studies. Students from different countries participate in this Programme, creating the benefit of global intellectual interaction.
Students, who graduated from our Master’s programme "Socio-economic and Political Development of Modern Asia", are highly demanded in:
- Governmental organizations which are closely related to the countries of Asia and Africa. (Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Economic Development, Ministry of Education and Science, Governing Institutions of the Regions).
- International and intergovernmental organizations, in particular, the departments of the SCO and the UN;
- Expert, industrial and governmental research organizations, which are involved in the analysis of the political and economic environment of the East.
- Institutions of the higher education associated with the countries of Asia and Africa.
- Informational agencies and mass media. (ITAR-TASS, RIA-Novosti, “The Voice of Russia”, VGTRK, “Russia Today” etc).
- Organizations of the science and research. (Institute of Oriental Studies (of the Russian Academy of Sciences), Institute of Far Eastern studies (RAS), IMEMO etc.).
- Сompanies that have an economic interest in broadening our cooperation with the East. (Gazprom, Lukoil, Transneft etc.).
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The Key Problems in Asian Studies Research
- State, Society and Economy in East Asia
- European Union and China
- Research seminar 'New Approaches to Sociopolitical and Economic Development of Asia"
- New Approaches to Sociopolitical and Economic Development of Asia
- Modern Asian Political Processes
- Ethno-religious Processes in Asia
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Nov 1-Aug 14: online applications may be submitted for preliminary selection; online (and in-person) candidate interviews will be held with programme teams
- Aug 14- Aug 28: submission of all supporting documents
- Aug 28: Deadline for signing agreements and enrollment forms
- Sept 1: Classes starting date depends on the choosen programme
- Dates apply to Moscow programmes only.
- Please note that some programmes begin on October 1.
DisciplinesEconomics Sociology Political Science View 4 other Masters in Sociology in Russia
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
International prospective students applying for Master's programmes at HSE University can now get a jump start on the admissions process and get a sense of their chances of being accepted to HSE. There is no need to wait till summer or to come to Moscow.
- Master's programmes in nine faculties, including the Faculty of Economic Sciences, the Faculty of Social Sciences, the Faculty of Communications, Media and Design, the Faculty of Computer Science, the Faculty of Humanities, the Faculty of World Economy and International Affairs, the Faculty of Business and Management, the Institute of Demography and the Banking Institute, will conduct a preliminary online assessment of portfolios and hold online interviews. This will be particularly useful for those who wish to receive direct feedback from the programmes.
- The only thing you have to do is to sign up for a preliminary interview and portfolio evaluation.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International5520 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5520 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
- 390 000 RUB
International students can apply to study at HSE for free through full-tuition scholarships. This merit-based scholarship will completely waive all tuition fees for selected full-degree Master's programmes at HSE.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.