Why to study
The benefits of the Project Management programme at the University of Cape Town are increasingly being used to improve management performance in areas that were not previously thought of as project driven. The course is underpinned by the standards and processes set out in the Project Management Body of Knowledge and the PRINCE2 methodology.
The content is built up from the academic research literature and encompasses construction, engineering, information technology, and business projects in its scope. The programme seeks to maintain a balance in its content to meet the needs of the public sector, utilities and the private sector.
The five compulsory modules are presented every year at approximately twelve week intervals, commencing in January/February. Exact dates may be obtained from the department. The MSc in Project Management runs over three years. Each module typically comprises, a 40-hour contact week at the university and 120 hours of assignment work. Candidates registered for the MSc in Project Management are required to take the two self-study courses and the five compulsory modules plus one elective module.
For the 20 credit courses, there is no set order in which these must be taken. However, the first courses that a student must register for are CON5036Z (Introduction to Research) and CON5041Z (Introduction to Applied Statistics). These short courses are delivered through directed learning of set materials and are concerned with ensuring that every student on the MSc course is familiar with writing in an academic style and has a familiarity of interpreting basic statistics. Two short exams are then held at the beginning of the first 20 credit module in January and again in June. CON5037Z (Research Methodology) is also a pre-requisite to completion of CON5023Z (Research Report) as the student will use the knowledge gained in CON5037Z in his/her research.
The PG Diploma programme is fully accredited by the South African Council for the Property Valuers Profession* and the MSc programme by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Project Management and Systems Theory
- Project Planning & Implementation
- Human Resource Management & Interpersonal Communication
- Total Quality Management
- Research Methodology
- Applied Statistics
- Further Applied Statistics
- Project Risk Management
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesProject Management Innovation Management View 5 other Masters in Innovation Management in South Africa
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- The minimum requirement is a four-year bachelor or honours degree in an appropriate field, obtained from a recognised University. Examples of appropriate qualifications include, but are not limited to: construction management; quantity surveying; architecture; engineering; and planning.
- Other fields outside the construction / engineering fields are also eligible provided they involve project management, for instance in the fields of ITC or commerce, In addition, candidates should have work experience and should preferably be currently employed.
- Applicants who do not meet this requirement, may be accepted if they possess recognised tertiary qualifications and have appropriate experience.
International7275 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7275 USD per year during 36 months.
National7275 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7275 USD per year during 36 months.
- National : R 103 870
- International: must pay the Course Fee for the selected courses + an International Admin Service Fee of R3,750 + the International Term Fee
Living costs for Cape Town
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.