The teaching offer includes lectures in biology, computer science and mathematics, in addition to tasks where practical experience in research projects may be gathered. The programme contains only one compulsory course. Students draw up their own individual curricula with help from a personal mentor.
- Core courses grouped in four areas: bioinformatics, biophysics, biosystems and big data
- General courses: methods in computer science; advanced courses for in-depth studies; science in perspective
- Transfer: lab rotations in bioinformatics, computer science and experimental biology
- Option for 8 week industrial internship (up to 8 weeks as part of the programme, longer internships will delay completion of studies beyond 2 years)
- Application: Master Thesis (6 months)
The Computational Biology and Bioinformatics Master's degree from ETH Zurich - Swiss Federal Institute of Technology qualifies for jobs in the pharmaceutical and biotechnological industry, in clinics and clinically-focused companies with focus or need in software development and data analysis as well as for an academic career.
About the CBB programme
Computational biology and bioinformatics complement the experimental biosciences with quantitative modeling and data analysis at a complexity level adapted to living systems. These new fields play a role comparable to that of mathematics in the physical sciences. The unprecedented recent development of experimental methods with the generation of large-scale datasets, as well as the increasing need to analyze and design highly complex biological systems has opened a new frontier of research with fundamental scientific challenges. For instance, scaling proven methods to the complexity level of biology is required to ensure validated scientific results and insights. New algorithmic techniques have to be explored to be able to extract information from large datasets.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
This area encompasses courses in:
- Theory (18 ECTS)
- Biology (12 ECTS)
- Science in Perspective (2 ECTS): enrichment of students’ general education
The are four different core course areas:
- Big Data
- 239 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesBiology Computer Sciences Bioinformatics View 39 other Masters in Biology in Switzerland
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Admission to the degree programme presupposes a university Bachelor’s degree comprising at least 180 ECTS(1 credits, an equivalent university degree, or a Bachelor’s degree from a Swiss university of applied sciences(2 in a technical or natural sciences discipline the content of which – also with regard to any additional academic requirements within the given framework – satisfies the pertaining academic and performance admission prerequisites.
- A Bachelor's degree qualifies its holder for admission to an ETH Master's degree programme only if it also qualifies said holder to enter, without additional requirements, the desired Master's degree programme within the university system where the Bachelor's degree was acquired. The Rector may also demand proof of this, determining whether such proof must come from the home university or from another university in the country where the Bachelor's degree was acquired.
International1324 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 662 EUR per semester during 239 months.
National1324 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 662 EUR per semester during 239 months.
- Tuition fee: CHF 730/Semester
Living costs for Zürich
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.