The interests of the Philosophy faculty are wide-ranging with a particular concentration in the historical aspects of philosophy. Considerable expertise exists in ethical and political philosophy, logic, metaphysics, and epistemology, as well as in the philosophy of science, the philosophy of religion, the philosophy of mind, phenomenology, existentialism, aesthetics, and hermeneutics.
The MA program in Philosophy at the Memorial University of Newfoundland, has a strong emphasis on writing. The program is designed so that it may be completed in one academic year (three semesters) of full-time study. The program can also be taken part time, in which case completion is longer.
- The Faculty and Graduate Students in the Department of Philosophy emphasize the continuous publication of new research in philosophy in the forms of books and journals and engage together in active research programs.
- The Department also plans and hosts numerous conferences and speakers each year (e.g. the Philosophy Colloquium, Bradley Lectures in Speculative Metaphysics, the Bi-Annual Graduate Conference).
- The research clusters below represent areas of research strength and focus. The wide range of research interests among our faculty allows students various possibilities for pursuing projects involving joint supervision or international resarch exchanges.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Ancient and Medieval Philosophy
- Modern Philosophy
- Contemporary Philosophy
- Theory of Knowledge
- Ethics and Political Philosophy
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics View 38 other Masters in Philosophy & Ethics in Canada
- Online application
- Official transcript(s) (must be submitted by post mail or courier)
- Two (2) letters of appraisal
- Non-refundable application fee
- Proof of English proficiency
- Additional requirements (may be required).
- Prerequisites may be necessary for your program of interest
International2148 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1074 CAD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
National1652 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 826 CAD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
Tuition (NL students): MA: $635-$1,313/semester
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.