The English MA programme at the University of Bern convey profound historical and systematic knowledge of the varieties of the English language as well as English-speaking literatures and cultures. They promote expertise in theories, concepts and methodologies in the field of English literatures and language and linguistics, advance oral and written competences in English academic discourse, and instruct students in developing their own research questions and independent academic work.
Students who have obtained their MA in English find employment in a wide number of fields and institutions related to education, research, publishing, journalism, and public administration, for example. The Students’ Committee regularly organizes Alumni events which bring together current and former students to learn more about possible careers.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
The MA major program consists of three phases:
- Induction Phase: In this phase, MA major students complete the Foundation Lecture Literary Theory and the Foundation Lecture Language and Society. Both foundation lectures must be passed to continue with the MA studies.
- Focussing Phase: In this phase, MA major students complete four graded seminars, one ungraded lecture and attend at least three guest lectures (ungraded).
- Completion Phase: This phase consists of the Research Module, which in turn consists of the MA Colloquium (three semesters) and the MA Thesis
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
You can only apply after the regular closing date for applications if you do not require a visa for entering and residing in Switzerland. If you are applying late and require a visa for Switzerland, we will transfer your application to a later semester.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 6 other Masters in Languages in Switzerland
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor of Arts in Languages and Literatures in English from the University of Bern or an equivalent degree. Additional attainments of up to 60 ECTS credits may be required.
- Bachelor minor in Languages and Literatures in English from the University of Bern or an equivalent degree, provided that the master's degree can be successfully completed with an additional maximum of 60 ECTS credits.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International1740 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 870 EUR per semester during 24 months.
National1380 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 690 EUR per semester during 24 months.
- Regular tuition fee: CHF 750 per semester
- Non-Swiss students: CHF 200 per semester, in addition to the regular tuition fee, if they did not have their civil law residence in Switzerland or the Principality of Liechtenstein at the time of obtaining their university entrance qualification to a bachelor's degree.
Living costs for Bern
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.