The Cognitive Systems - Language Learning and Reasoning MSc course's goal at the University of Potsdam is the study and advancement of artificial intelligence. It is exceptional in its strong focus on teaching the scientific fundamentals as well as in its emphasis on practice and research.
In this interdisciplinary English-language Master’s program you will learn to apply state-of-the-art research in computational linguistics (“language”), machine learning (“learning”), and artificial intelligence (“reasoning”). These three areas come together through a cooperation between the Department of Computer Science and the Department of Linguistics at the University of Potsdam, Germany.
In this program, you will acquire advanced knowledge in the newest methodologies in all three areas. The course-work includes modeling and statistical analysis of empirical data. Over the course of your studies, the focus will gradually shift towards independent work and research: from lectures covering the basics to seminars and finally to larger projects in which you and your team find an individual research or programming topic or define and implement an experiment. Here you will also have the opportunity to familiarize yourself independently with the most current research.
- Getting a degree in “Cognitive Systems: Language, Learning and Reasoning” will make you especially well-prepared for research or leadership positions in the industrial sector. The digital processing of language and knowledge as well as learning from large sets of data are absolute industrial growth areas – in large companies such as Google, Amazon or Apple, just as much as in many small and medium-sized companies that are currently being started up in Berlin and Brandenburg. With the degree you will also be in an excellent position to continue with a doctoral degree (in Potsdam and elsewhere) and if you are pursuing an academic career.
- You will know how to ascertain specialized problems on your own and to develop solutions. You will also acquire comprehensive and detailed knowledge in the areas of computer science and computational linguistics, and you will be able to implement methods specific to the field as well as those methods that transcend one discipline.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced Natural Language Processing
- Machine Learning and Data Analysis
- Advanced Problem Solving Techniques
- Current Topics in Computational Intelligence
- Current Topics in Computational Linguistics
- Current Topics in Machine Learning
- Machine Learning and Data Analysis
- Project in Computational Intelligence
- Project in Computational Linguistics
- Project in Machine Learning
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesCognitive Sciences Artificial Intelligence Linguistics View 34 other Masters in Artificial Intelligence in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Qualified Bachelor of Science in computer science, linguistics, or a related field
- University-level knowledge in one of the following fields: mathematics (calculus and linear algebra), computer science (algorithms and data structures, formal languages and automata theory), or linguistics
- Programming skills
- Proof of sufficient command of English: C1 level (Common European Framework of Reference)
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
- 280 Euros per semester administrative fee
Living costs for Potsdam
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.