As a student in the Plant Science and Biotechnology programme at the University of Leeds, you’ll apply your knowledge to an extended practical investigation in the form of a laboratory-based mini-project, involving practical training in a range of modern molecular biologies and protein engineerings techniques such as gene cloning, PCR, mutagenesis, protein expression, protein purification, and analysis.
A module on plant biotechnology will address current topics such as the engineering of plants, development of stress-tolerant crop varieties and techniques for gene expression and gene silencing through reading discussion and critical analysis of recent research papers.
You’ll learn from the research of international experts in DNA recombination and repair mechanisms and their importance for transgene integration and biotechnological applications; plant nutrition and intracellular communication; and the biosynthesis, structure, and function of plant cell walls.
The strong research element of the Plant Science and Biotechnology MSc, along with the specialist and generic skills you develop, means you’ll graduate equipped for a wide range of careers.
Graduates work in a diverse range of areas, ranging from bioscience-related research through scientific publication, teacher training, health and safety, and pharmaceutical market research.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Topics in Plant Science
- Practical Bioinformatics
- Plant Biotechnology
- Crop Science & Sustainable Agriculture
- MSc Bioscience Research Project Proposal
- Research Planning and Scientific Communication
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesBiotechnology Natural Sciences Plant & Crop Sciences View 21 other Masters in Plant & Crop Sciences in United Kingdom
- A bachelor degree with 2:1 (hons) in a subject that has covered the cellular and molecular basis of life such as: Genetics, Microbiology, Biochemistry.
- Completed online application form (for Taught Postgraduate Study)
- Full CV
- Transcript of degree examination marks achieved to date
- Copy of final degree certificate (if completed)
- Copy of passport (if you’re an overseas student)
- Completed supporting statement
Please visit our course page to view our fees for this course.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.