The master’s degree in Numerical Methods in Engineering at the Polytechnic University of Catalonia it aims to produce specialists in the theory and applications of calculation methods for product and process design, in the widest possible sense. Graduates will immediately be able to apply the knowledge acquired in industry. Their solid scientific training will also enable them to pursue a doctoral degree.
The course addresses real educational needs in Europe and worldwide. Computational mechanics is set to become even more multidisciplinary than in the past, and it is expected that in the coming decade the demand for accurate and reliable numerical simulation of engineering systems will undergo explosive growth and have a major impact on our everyday lives. Graduates of this master's degree will be experts in numerical methods in engineering. They will be professionals able to put into practice the acquired knowledge directly to industry and they will also have the necessary scientific background to undertake a doctoral degree successfully.
Generic competencies are the skills that graduates acquire regardless of the specific course or field of study. The generic competencies established by the UPC are capacity for innovation and entrepreneurship, sustainability and social commitment, knowledge of a foreign language (preferably English), teamwork and proper use of information resources.
Specific skillsOn completing this master's degree, students will be able to:
- Solve problems using numerical and computational methods, having completed and consolidated their basic training in this field and reinforced their knowledge of the basic elements and specific applications.
- Understand and master the theories and applications of numerical methods for solving engineering problems.
- Apply, based on their experience and a critical approach, numerical methods through the use of calculation programs, graphics pre- and post-processors, programming language and scientific calculation libraries.
- Come up with conventional solutions based on consolidated knowledge, criteria and critical thinking, and analyse results for problems that are characteristic of numerical modelling.
- Show knowledge of and acquire critical awareness of the European Union and the international vanguard in the use of numerical methods in engineering.
- Strengthen skills for solving real engineering problems through numerical modelling, using the identification of the underlying mathematical model, the most appropriate method of calculation and the critical interpretation of the results.
- Independently use their knowledge and understanding of computational engineering to design solutions to new or unfamiliar problems, incorporating knowledge gained and knowing how to use the theory and practices of other disciplines, where appropriate, and designing new, original problem-solving methods that are suited to the objectives.
- Understand the applicability and the limitations of numerical modelling and existing calculation technologies.
- Independently and expertly look for, filter, collect and synthesise ground-breaking scientific and technical information.
- Be familiar with advanced numerical modelling applied to various areas of engineering: civil, environmental, mechanical, aerospace, nanoengineering and bioengineering.
- Apply the latest numerical technologies to solving basic problems (numerical linear algebra, optimisation, etc.).
- Show knowledge of the modern physical models of materials science (advanced constitutive models) in solid and fluid mechanics.
- Use and have knowledge of quality control techniques for numerical simulation (validation and verification).
- Use modern numerical simulation tools competently and apply them to the typical problems of multidisciplinary engineering.
- Understand the applicability and the limitations of the different numerical simulation techniques.
- Use existing calculation programs and preprocessors and postprocessors and show knowledge of programming languages and standard calculation libraries.
- Advanced Fluid Mechanics
- Communication Skills
- Computational Mechanics Tools
- Continuum Mechanics
- Finite Element
- Numerical Methods for PDEs 5
- Computational Solid Mechanics
- Computational Structural Mechanics and Dynamics
- Coupled Problems
- Domain Descomposition and Large Scale Scientific Computing
- Finite Elements in Fluids
- Programming for Engineers and Scientists
- Advanced Discretization Methods
- Industrial Training
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMathematics General Engineering & Technology View 17 other Masters in Mathematics in Spain
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- An official Spanish university qualification or an official university qualification issued by a university in the European Higher Education Area (EHEA) that qualifies the holder for admission to a master's degree.
- A qualification issued by a university in a country that is not in the EHEA. If the qualification has not been homologated, the UPC will verify that the course of study corresponds to a level of education equivalent to an official Spanish university degree and that the qualification obtained would provide admission to a master’s degree in the country in which it was awarded. This access route in no way implies the homologation of the qualification or its recognition for any purpose other than admission to the master's degree. The master's degree will, however, be fully and legally valid.
- It is compulsory to demonstrate the B2 level of English with one of the certificates recognized by the Interuniversity Council of Catalonia.
International4150 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8300 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
EU/EEA2766 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5533 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
Living costs for Barcelona
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.