The focus of your studies
At the University of Skövde, we offer a two-year Master´s programme in Molecular Biotechnology degree offered by the University of Skövde were you will use laboratory and computer-based techniques to study and modify genes and proteins. The techniques can be applied within the fields of human and animal health, agriculture and food industry to e.g. identify diseases and genetically engineer plants, cells and animals. In the programme you will also study the structure of genes and proteins as well as the understanding of their function, regulation and expression. The Molecular Biotechnology 120 ECTS programme is delivered by University of Skövde.
The programme involves in-depth research oriented studies in the areas of Molecular Biology, Biotechnology and Systems Biology. Independent laboratory work and computer-based analysis of experimental biological data are prominent parts of the studies. During the first part of the programme you will study advanced courses in Biotechnology, Molecular Biology, Biostatistics and Bioinformatics and their applications in Biotechnology. In the next part of the programme you will continue with advanced courses in Systems Biology, Expression Analysis, Multivariate Analysis, Next Generation Sequencing as well as a Molecular Biotechnology. The main focus during this part is analysis of experimental biological data. Advanced laboratory facilities are employed for DNA and protein analyses such as PCR amplification, qPCR, site-directed mutagenesis, cloning, and protein expression. Computational resources are used for experimental data analysis and database searching.
The programme is concluded with a master degree project work (45 credits) during the last year. During the project work, you will expand your theoretical and laboratory knowledge and solve a relevant research problem in Systems Biology (with a focus in Molecular Biotechnology). The project work is performed individually under the direction of supervisors qualified in the field.
After completing the program you can for example work in pharmaceutical companies, biotech companies, in the food industry or at hospitals. You can also continue with PhD studies or other kind of research at governmental and private research laboratories.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Courses include :
- Analysis of NGS Data
- Bioinformatics Concepts and Methods
- Experimental Design and Data Analysis for Life Science
- Experimental Methods and Design in Life Science
- NGS Library Preparation and Quality Control
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiotechnology Bioinformatics Biochemistry View 16 other Masters in Biotechnology in Sweden
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Certificates and diplomas of your completed degree from your country/countries of study.
- Transcripts of completed courses and grades for each semester included in your degree.
- Proof of English language skills
- In order to speed up the processing of your application, we require a copy of the page in your passport with your personal data and photograph, or some other identification document.
- For most master's level courses and programmes, the requirement is also the equivalent of English 6/English Course B, though some may require a lower or higher level of English
International12350 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12350 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
130,000 SEK per year
Living costs for Skövde
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
ScholarshipsThe University of Skövde offers a small number of scholarships to students who are attending a Master's programme at the University and who are liable for tuition fees. If you are an exchange student, please contact your home university for information about thescholarships they provide.
1. UHR ScholarshipsThe University of Skövde administrates some scholarships funded by the Swedish Council for Higher Education (UHR) to students liable to pay tuition fees attending a master's programme at the University. The scholarships are tuition fee waivers of 31,250 SEK per semester (50% of the tuition fee), and the amount is automatically deducted from the tuition fee when you receive your invoice. The scholarships are granted for one academic semester.
2. HS ScholarshipsThe University of Skövde offers a small number of scholarships to students attending a master's programme at the University who are liable for tuition fees. The scholarships consist of tuition fee waivers of 25,000 SEK per semester, and the amount is automatically deducted from the tuition fee. The scholarships are granted for one academic semester.Conditions: Both UHR and HS Scholarships can be extended to a subsequent academic semester provided that the student’s study results are satisfactory. The scholarship granting criterion is academic merit. The scholarships can only be awarded to tuition-paying students. Please note that you have to be able to finance the remainder of the tuition fee yourself, and to cover all the living expenses during your stay in Sweden.
How to apply for a scholarship at the University of SkövdeFirst apply for one of studies at the University via University Admissions. You must apply for one of our master’s programmes at the Swedish official online application service University Admissions. Then apply for a scholarship at the University of Skövde by filling in the online scholarship application form available on this webpage. Please note that you will need to provide us with the application number you received from the University Admissions website.
3. Other types of scholarships for international students
- Scholarships offered by the Swedish Institute
- Scholarships for exchange students from the EU, EEA and Switzerland
- Ciência sem Fronteiras - Science without Borders
- Erasmus Mundus Lamenitec Network
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.