At this Pure and Applied Logic programme at the Polytechnic University of Catalonia the courses cover a wide variety of areas, from mathematical logic and applications to computer science, artificial intelligence and computational linguistics. In addition, two foundation courses are offered to students who require a basic introduction to logic or mathematics.
This master’s degree promotes the acquisition of skills required for a professional or academic career: creativity, analysis of complex situations, innovation, learning capabilities, research capabilities and strategic decision making. It also promotes other general skills and values such as effective communication, teamwork and professional ethics.
On completing the master’s degree, students will be qualified for:
- Professional jobs requiring a high capacity for analysis of complex situations and strategic decision making.
- An academic career and research in many of the central areas in the field of logic.
Generic competencies are the skills that graduates acquire regardless of the specific course or field of study. The generic competencies established by the UPC are capacity for innovation and entrepreneurship, sustainability and social commitment, knowledge of a foreign language (preferably English), teamwork and proper use of information resources.Specific skills
- Carry out research and knowledge transfer in the professional sphere.
- Initiate an academic career in the world of research, and particularly a doctoral course in logic at an international level.
- Basic Model Theory
- Basic Set Theory
- Mathematical Logic
- Non-Classical Logics
- Abstract Algebraic Logic
- Advanced Model Theory
- Algebraic Logic
- Combinatorial Set Theory
- Many-Valued Logics
- Modal Logic
- Models of Set Theory
- Order, Lattices and Boolean Algebras
- Proof Theory, and Automated Theorem Proving
- The Development of Formal Logic
- Universal Algebra
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- An interest in carrying out research in the field of logic.
- An abstract analytical mind, and a capacity for rigorous, abstract reasoning. An example of this could be to have successfully completed courses in mathematics or formal logic at graduate or post-graduate level.
- A genuine interest in most of the topics covered by the course curriculum.
- A good level of spoken and written English, to follow explanations in class, write out solutions to exercises and draft the final project.
- A degree issued by a higher education institution within the European Higher Education Area framework that authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue.
- A qualification from outside the framework of the European Higher Education Area. In this case, the qualification should be recognized as equivalent to an official Spanish degree.
International4920 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 82 EUR per credit during 18 months.
EU/EEA2820 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 47 EUR per credit during 18 months.
Living costs for Barcelona
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.