This Photonics master’s degree at the Polytechnic University of Catalonia, has received the International Master’s Programme distinction (2013 call) awarded by the Government of Catalonia’s Agency for the Management of University and Research Grants (AGAUR).
The particular fields that students may be employed in once they graduate are proliferating, given the interdisciplinary nature and increasing relevance of photonics, which has been selected as one of five Key Enabling Technologies for the future of the European Union.
The master’s degree in Photonics complements bachelor’s degrees in the sciences (particularly physics) and engineering (particularly engineering physics, telecommunications engineering, electrical, mechanical and electronic engineering and optics, as well as related fields such as nanophotonics and bioengineering) and provides broader and more specific training on scientific advances and interdisciplinary technologies.
This Photonics programme is offered by Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya · BarcelonaTech (UPC).Career prospects may include the following:
- Taking a doctoral degree in Photonics, Optics, Physics, Optical Engineering, Nanophotonics, Biophotonics, Telecommunications, Electronics, Imaging, Quantum Information, etc.
- Participating in doctoral programmes, R&D and innovation programmes in companies, basic or applied research centres and universities.
- Joining a large company as a consultant or engineer on photonics-related topics, applications development engineer, sales specialist or laboratory consultant.
- Working as a freelance advisor or consultant on photonics-related subjects.
- Working in highly specialised technical positions for controlling services such as microscopy, X-ray diffraction, thin films, etc.
- Participating in (and promoting) spin-offs and other small technology-based companies.
- Joining the education system for high-level training in the field of photonics.
Generic competencies are the skills that graduates acquire regardless of the specific course or field of study. The generic competencies established by the UPC are capacity for innovation and entrepreneurship, sustainability and social commitment, knowledge of a foreign language (preferably English), teamwork and proper use of information resources.Specific competencies
- An understanding of the physical principles of optics and light-matter interaction, at classical and quantum levels.
- The ability to perform basic experiments in photonics and to analyse and understand advanced experiments and calculations in the fields chosen by the student.
- An understanding of laser physics and knowledge of the variety of laser types and main related applications.
- Knowledge of the fundamentals of image formation, light propagation through different media and Fourier optics.
- An understanding of the main concepts, underlying phenomena and most recent applications in the optional subjects chosen by students (quantum optics, biophotonics and imaging, nanophotonics, telecommunications, optical engineering, etc.).
- The ability to deal with an advanced research problem in photonics from start to finish, i.e., from conceptual planning and bibliographic research to the oral and written communication of the results, according to the procedures and conventions of scientific presentations in English.
- The ability to understand optical engineering as an economic and business activity and to take into account social, ethical and sustainability aspects.
- An awareness of the importance of patents and the ability to understand and write a patent in the field of photonics.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced Quantum Optics with Applications
- Beam Propagation and Fourier Optics
- Building Optomechanical Systems
- Experimental Optical Techniques in Biology
- Fibers and Telecommunications
- From Cooling and Trapping of Neutral Atoms to Bose-Einstein Condensates
- Image Processing in Biophotonics
- Integrated Photonics
- Introduction to Photonics. Optics and Lasers
- Laser Systems and Applications
- Managing Light with Devices
- Measuring with Light
- Non-Linear Optics
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMaterials Science & Engineering Physics View 6 other Masters in Materials Science & Engineering in Spain
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- All applications will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Suitability of the student’s prior qualifications and learning in relation to the content of the master’s degree.
- Academic record.
- Curriculum vitae.
- Motivation letter and two letters of recommendation.
- Certificate of English language skills at a level above B2.
International4901 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4901 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA3267 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 3267 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.