The International Health programme at the University of Basel describes a strategy combining the knowledge and experience of several disciplines (epidemiology, social sciences, medicine, economics, management sciences, biology, etc.). The objective of the programme is to enable participants to implement sustainable primary health care programme and projects related to health in a setting of countries with limited resources.
The Master of Advanced Studies in International Health was established by the Swiss Tropical Institute in 1998 and was accredited by the University of Basel in 2001. In October 2007, this program was also accredited by the «Schweizerische Universitätskonferenz» for the period of seven years without conditions imposed.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The students enrol at the Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute for the core course «Health Care and Management in Tropical Countries». After successfully completing the core course, students enrol for optional modules (1 to 5 weeks each) at one of the tropEd partner institutions.
- There they study supervised by an individual tutor. Credit Points have to sum up to a total of 20 for these optional modules.
- Additional 20 ECTS will be given for the research project or thesis with which participants prove that they have acquired both knowledge and skills. All participants have to take courses in at least 2 institutions belonging to the tropEd network, a legal association of some 30 European and overseas institutions of higher education. Since 2005, the MIH is part of the Swiss School of Public Health+ (SSPH+).
- Medical doctors and nurses are as welcome as social scientists, health planners, educators, pharmacists and other health workers. Admission criteria are a first degree related to health, a good record of working experience, preferably in countries with resources constraints. Participants who want to join the MIH programme can only apply for the whole programme after finishing the core course HCMTC.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPublic Health Health Management Health Sciences View 5 other Masters in Health Management in Switzerland
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- The admission to the master’s degree program with a bachelor’s degree or a degree of equal value from a foreign higher education institution recognized by the University of Basel is only granted, if the degree entitles the holder to access to the chosen master’s degree program in the issuing higher education system. Proof of a place to study can be required.
International18123 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18123 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
National18123 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18123 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
- Costs for the full programme between CHF 20,000 and CHF 25,000
Living costs for Basel
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.