During the Biotechnology programme of Saarland University students learn how to examine and analyse complex systems experimentally and how to describe these systems using mathematical and bioinformatics models. The focus of the programme is on systems biotechnology and on the associated fields of bioinformatics, natural products and active pharmaceutical ingredients, molecular biotechnology and bioprocess engineering. Work in this area is opening up new possibilities in metabolic engineering, whose goal is the targeted production of producer organisms and the development of corresponding production processes, and in the discovery and validation of drugs and drug targets.
The interdisciplinary M.Sc. programme is run by the Faculty of Natural Science and Technology III at Saarland University. The number of places on the programme is limited to fourteen per year, which ensures an excellent student-staff ratio and meaningful interaction between students and their instructors. Students who graduate from the M.Sc. programme with good grades and who would prefer to pursue academic research rather than take up a position in industry can apply for admission to the doctoral research programme.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Biochemistry and Biotechnology
- Molecular Biotechnology
- Bioreaction Technology and Bioprocess Engineering
- Bioanalytics and Bioinformatics
- Seminar: Biotechnology
- Key qualifications
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiotechnology Bioinformatics Biochemistry View 30 other Masters in Biotechnology in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor's degree in biotechnology or a comparable qualification in biology, chemistry, pharmaceutical science or bioinformatics from a German university or an equivalent qualification from a German or foreign university.
- Adequate proficiency in German and English
- Proof of suitability for the programme. This can be demonstrated by:
- having achieved an above-average grade in one of the above-named degree programmes
- having achieved particular academic merit in the field of biotechnology
- providing details about relevant work/study periods abroad and relevant work experience or internships
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
- Students are exempted from tuition fees. However, they have to pay the semester fee of 288 EUR
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.