As well as giving an overview of Physical Oceanography, the course offered at the Bangor University enable students to study in detail those aspects of the subject for which they have particular interest.
- Provide a thorough training in the theory and application of physical oceanography.
- Familiarize the student with modern oceanographic instrumentation and observational techniques.
- Introduce state-of-the-art computational fluid dynamics, data analysis and fundamental modelling methods.
- Provide the student with the practical experience and physical understanding necessary to address significant problems in the coastal ocean environment.
The first two semesters of the course are taught, introducing the student to the physics of the ocean and its role in the climate system. Modules cover both oceanographic theory and its application, as well practical oceanography.
The latter includes an introduction of state-of-the-art instrumentation, remote sensing, numerical modelling as well as practical experience working on small boats and the University's state-of-the-art research vessel, the Prince Madog. Student achievement in the course is evaluated by continuous assessment and module examinations.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Key Concepts and Techniques
- Practical Oceanography-PO
- Geophysical Fluid Dynamics
- Climate and Climate Change
- Literature Review-Project Plan
- Marine Renewable Energy
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
The University will accept applications throughout the year, but we would generally advise that you send in your application form by the end of June.
DisciplinesEarth Sciences Hydrology & Water Management View 71 other Masters in Hydrology & Water Management in United Kingdom
- Successful applicants normally hold, or expect to obtain, a 2(ii) undergraduate Honours degree in a physical, mathematical or other numerate science.
- Applicants from other subject areas (e.g. Geography, Geology, Biology and other sciences) or with relevant employment experience are encouraged to apply, provided that they can demonstrate high levels of motivation and experience in their Personal Statement and CV and have mathematics to A-level or beyond.
International17800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17800 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9000 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Bangor
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.