A wide range of forms of cultural expression such as literature, film, theatre, music, and popular culture are addressed. The Intercultural Anglophone Studies programme of University of Bayreuth promotes the analysis of complex issues in culture, literature and language – including inter- and transcultural issues – from various perspectives.
Areas of Emphasis
In Anglophone Literary Studies, the curriculum has the following research-based priorities: British, American and African literature and culture; postcolonial and diaspora studies; ecocriticsm; gender studies; literature and media. Research-based studies in English Linguistics, in turn, extend to the following main areas: language, cognition and culture; varieties of English in their cultural setting; corpus linguistics.
Student Exchange & Dual Degree Programmes
The programme offers several innovative dual degree options with leading institutions in their respective countries: with Shanghai International Studies University (PR China), with Fu Jen Catholic University (Taiwan), with the University of Chester (UK), and, for the field of linguistics, with Moscow City Pedagogical University (Rus). There are also opportunities to study for one semester at George Washington University (USA).
Fields of Employment
As the MAIAS programme is geared toward advanced competences and skills, students are well-prepared for careers and positions in the academic world, in business, or the increasingly important forums of cross-cultural exchange. In particular, they find attractive career options in research and teaching, media and journalism, publishing, new media, international cultural institutions, cultural management, intercultural consulting, service and trade.
The programme is designed to enable students to work independently toward research goals, to present their results coherently and effectively, and to critically evaluate scholarly contributions from other authors. After the successful completion of the master’s degree, students have the option to pursue a doctorate, for example, within the International Graduate School of African Studies at the University of Bayreuth.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Intercultural Anglophone Studies in Literature and Language
- Cultural and Literary Theory/ Theoretical Approaches to Language, Variation and Culture
- Theoretical Approaches to Language, Variation and Culture
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies View 60 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- BA Degree in English/American Studies or in a field related to English/American Studies, clearly above-average performance (equivalent to grade "good"), or an equivalent qualification.
- Applicants must show a proven capacity for writing research-oriented papers of at least 10,000 words; they will be required to undertake a thesis of 23.000 to 30.000 words (ca. 70 pages) in length.
- Brief Curriculum Vitae
- Higher education entrance qualification document
- For non-native speakers of English: documentation of language skills in English
- Letter describing two research topics that you would like to pursue within the program
- (Provisional) degree certificate or confirmation of at least 140 ECTS stating the previous average mark
- Full transcript of records
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.