The Philosophy course offered by Durham University includes research training and allows you to write a substantial dissertation on a topic you wish to pursue at PhD level. Our staff members have expertise in a very wide range of areas, so there is considerable flexibility over choice of dissertation topic. Modules are taught via group seminars and one-to-one tutorials.
The Taught MA in Philosophy provides the opportunity for in-depth engagement with areas of philosophy in which the Durham department has internationally recognised expertise. In the process, you will develop critical abilities and independent research skills that prepare you for further postgraduate study in Philosophy and for a wide range of careers where such skills are highly prized.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Ancient Philosophers on Necessity, Fate and Free Will
- Forms After Plato
- Science and The Enlightenment
- Philosophical Issues in Science and Medicine
- Philosophy and Religion
- Current Issues in Metaphysics
- Current Issues in Ethics
- Gender Theory and Feminist Philosophy
- Phenomenology and The Sciences of Mind
- Current Issues in Aesthetics and Theory of Art
- Ethics, Medicine and History
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics View 186 other Masters in Philosophy & Ethics in United Kingdom
A typical 2:1 classification or higher at undergraduate level or equivalent qualification with a substantial philosophy component.Admission Criteria for Research Focus on Science, Medicine and Society:
- A 2:1 classification or higher at undergraduate level or equivalent qualification with a substantial philosophy component or other appropriate component, for example science-related subjects.
- At least one example of written work on a philosophical theme (up to 5,000 words).
International20000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 20000 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA9000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9000 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
- UK/EU: £5,000.00 per year
- International non-EU Student £11,000.00 per year
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.