If you teach English to speakers of other languages and want to continue your personal and professional development, enhance your abilities and become an expert in your field, postgraduate study is your next step.
On this MA Applied Linguistics and TESOL degree course, you’ll take your qualifications to Master’s level – whether you choose to study full-time, part-time, or part-time via distance learning – and develop your expertise in fields that interest you the most.
You'll enhance your teaching skills too, so when you graduate, you'll be ready to take the next ambitious strides in your career.
What you’ll experience
- Develop the skills needed to teach English around the world, to speakers of other languages
- Expand your knowledge of the theories and methods used in linguistics
- Unpick the hidden systems and bias in the use of language
- Reflect on your teaching practice from theoretical and research-based perspectives
Work experience and career planning
When you finish the course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work in the industry.
Previous students have gone on to work in universities in the UK and abroad, continued their studies, or taken on more advanced roles in their current place of work.
If you're not already in work when you join us, our Careers and Employability service are on-hand to help you find relevant work experience during your course – and to help you find a great job when you graduate too.
We can help you identify placements, internships, voluntary roles that will complement your studies and build your portfolio.
We'll also be available to help, advise and support you for up to 5 years as you advance in your career.
Teaching and programme assessment
Teaching on this course is predominantly seminar based.
Our campus programme combines the opportunity for traditional classroom-based teaching, with the flexibility of distance learning.
You’ll be assessed through:
You’ll be able to test your skills and knowledge informally before you do assessments that count towards your final mark.
You can get feedback on all practice and formal assessments so you can improve in the future.
- Second Language Acquisition
- Theory and Practice of TESOL
- Using Technology and Corpora in Learning, Teaching and Research
- World Englishes
- Analysing, Evaluating and Writing Material
- Analysing Discourse
Please see our website for our latest module information
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
If you are an International student and require to apply for a study visa, we advise that you apply earlier and allow additional time for it to be processed.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 398 other Masters in Linguistics in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- A second-class honours degree or equivalent, plus initial teacher training and a minimum of three months full-time, relevant, teaching experience. If you do not have relevant teaching experience, you can still apply for our campus programme, and you will study an additional non-credit bearing module The Classroom Practice of TESOL at no additional cost.
- English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.5.
International16200 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16200 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9400 GBP per year during 12 months.
EU students Full-time (on campus) – £9,400
Living costs for Portsmouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.