About this Degree from Instituto Superior Técnico
Environmental Engineering looks at the existing environmental problems in society, namely those caused by the implementation of solutions given by other areas of Engineering. In a world where sustainability is on the agenda, the role of environmental engineers involves understanding what tools to use in order to lower the environmental impact and the ecological footprint of human activities while maintaining the efficiency of related processes. Thus, this field of Engineering operates in pollution planning and control, waste, effluent and gaseous pollutant treatment and environmental system management, while optimizing soil and land use.
Instituto Superior Técnico MSc graduates in Environmental Engineering are prepared to pursue a career in agencies related to the Environment, ministries, municipal city halls, consulting companies, industries, research and development and may work in:
- environmental problem analysis and solution;
- natural resource management;
- integrated planning and control of pollution, including waste, effluent and gaseous pollutant treatment;
- management of environmental systems oriented to problem solving through the optimization of soil and land use in order to lower the magnitude of negative environmental impacts;
- Consultancy, leadership, supervision and management;
- Vocational training and teaching.
- The MSc Environmental Engineering (Major) allows the student to increase the capabilities and knowledge acquired in the 1st Cycle, Circular Economy, Environmental Policy and Management, Territory, Water Sanitation and Treatment, Air Quality, among others.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesEnvironmental Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 40 other Masters in General Engineering & Technology in Portugal
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- hold a 1st cycle degree in Science and Technology (except in the case of the 2nd cycle in Architecture, which requires a 1st cycle degree in Architecture);
- hold an academic, scientific or professional curriculum that certifies their ability to do the MSc programme which they apply for.
Candidates are selected according to these criteria:
- affinity between the degree they hold and the programme they apply for;
- type of degree they hold;
- academic success in the programme they attended.
International7000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA1063 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1063 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Lisbon
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.