About this Degree from Instituto Superior Técnico
The extractive industry ensures the sustainable exploration and management of raw materials, essential for the energy transition and transformation of our society towards a greener economy. Mining and Geological Engineering develops prospecting and mining techniques, promoting the digitization of the mining industry, based on the best practices of environmental sustainability, safety, smart mining, automation and robotics. The role of a Mining Engineer involves exploration, development and mining management, but also support for construction works, namely tunnels and other excavations in rock masses.
Técnico MSc graduates in Geological and Mining Engineering will be prepared to develop activities such as:
- Discovery of lodes or mineral masses;
- Assessment, prospecting, exploration, processing and management of mineral resources and solid waste;
- Assessment, exploration and management of groundwater resources;
- Real-time monitoring and management of mining operations;
- Assessment of environmental impacts and recovery of mines and quarries;
- Use of explosive substances in excavations and demolitions;
- Geological support for land use planning activities;
- Support to the conception, design and execution of large engineering works (tunnels, airports, roads, bridges, large buildings, etc.);
- Consulting and leadership, leadership and management functions;
- Professional training and education.
- The Master Programme in Mining and Geological Engineering (Major) deepens the knowledge acquired in the 1st Cycle Mining Geology, Mineral and Energy Resources, Mining Equipment and Installations, Mining Planning, Tunnels, Excavations, among others.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesGeneral Engineering & Technology Mining, Oil & Gas View 7 other Masters in Mining, Oil & Gas in Portugal
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- hold a 1st cycle degree in Science and Technology (except in the case of the 2nd cycle in Architecture, which requires a 1st cycle degree in Architecture);
- hold an academic, scientific or professional curriculum that certifies their ability to do the MSc programme which they apply for.
Candidates are selected according to these criteria:
- affinity between the degree they hold and the programme they apply for;
- type of degree they hold;
- academic success in the programme they attended.
International7000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA1063 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1063 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Lisbon
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.