About the program
- This is a qualifying specialisation – students from a non-counselling background can study this postgraduate counselling degree. Graduates of this specialisation meet the educational requirements for entry into the counselling profession.
- Gain the required knowledge to work in relationship, family, child and youth counselling, as well as child abuse prevention and intervention.
- This degree provides you with the opportunity to undertake a substantial research project or choose to do a smaller capstone project to further your research skills.
- Study the Master of Counselling (Child, Youth and Family Therapy) to fit study into your life.
- To enhance your practice, you’ll attend mandatory residential schools at University of Southern Queensland Ipswich campus to meet the required number of hours of face-to-face instruction.
Career opportunities exist in a range of counselling and human services roles within government, non-government, and private organisations, or alternatively, graduates may become self-employed in private practice. Additionally, graduates may have opportunities to progress into doctoral studies.
- Advanced Practice
- Alcohol and Drug Studies
- Foundations of Practice
- Mental Health Counselling
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
- You can apply throughout the year and for courses that start in three different semesters
- Apply early, to make sure you secure a place
DisciplinesPsychology Educational Psychology Counselling Psychology View 36 other Masters in Psychology in Australia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Southern Queensland and/or in Australia, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
There are two different admission requirement processes depending on whether the student is studying stream 1 – the qualifying Master of Counselling, or stream 2, the Master of Counselling (Advanced Practice).
Stream 1: Qualifying Master of Counselling
- Completion of an Australian university 3-year bachelor degree, or equivalent, in any area.
- Completion of at least 50% of the Graduate Diploma of Counselling at UniSQ and have a grade point average (GPA) of 5 or higher, or equivalent qualification from another institution.
- Provide two satisfactory Referee Reports and a report to address the Selection Criteria indicating the applicant's abilities to successfully undertake the professional and research components of the program; and
- Participate in an interview with a panel of School staff.
International30320 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30320 AUD per year during 24 months.
National24560 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24560 AUD per year during 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.