The Physics program at ETH Zurich - Swiss Federal Institute of Technology should encourage breadth, but it should also enable students to specialise if they choose to do so.
The "Master of Science ETH" qualification provides graduates with a solid basis for entering the professional life. This qualification is also a pre-requisite for Doctoral studies. The Master stage takes typically one and a half years, the last half year of which is devoted to the master thesis.
As a student of the MSc curriculum you enjoy great freedom in your choice of courses. The courses will be a combination from a few categories:
- Theoretical core subjects: these complete the theoretical courses already begun at the Bachelor stage on an advanced level.
- Experimental core subjects: analogous to the theoretical courses these complete the experimental foundations on an advanced level.
For a list of courses offered, please visit this page.
- Elective subjects from Physics or Mathematics: the available courses are closely related to the research activities at the Departments of Physics and Mathematics. They are also a good preparation for a Master thesis.
- General elective subject: you may complement your Master curriculum with some general courses given by other departments.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- General Relativity
- Quantum Field Theory
- Statistical Physics
- Theoretical Cosmology
- Solid State Theory
- Ultrafast Laser Physics
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesPhysics View 16 other Masters in Physics in Switzerland
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- The admission criteria to the MSc studies in Physics are either a BSc degree in Physics from ETH or an equivalent preparation from some other curriculum at ETH or some other comparable higher-education institution.
International1324 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 662 EUR per semester during 18 months.
National1324 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 662 EUR per semester during 18 months.
- Tuition fee: CHF 730/Semester
Living costs for Zürich
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.