In the Nanosciences programme at the University of Basel, there are 3 different specializations:
- The Nano Physics focuses on the study of structures in the nanometer scale, as well as the understanding and control of quantum phenomena.
- The nano chemistry is concerned with the production and investigation of self-organizing structures, with surface chemistry, nanostructured materials and the observation of individual macromolecules such as nanocontainers
- The Nanobiology examines the structure of biomolecules and the mechanisms of nanomachines (for example, molecular motors, and Energiekonvertoren).
Most scientists with a Master of Science in Nanosciences work in basic research at a range of academic institutions or in applied research – either at global companies or at SMEs and start-ups in Switzerland and abroad. For example, nanoscientists are sought after in the areas of medical engineering, sensor technology, analysis, and production on the nanometer scale, and especially in any field that calls for interdisciplinary knowledge and understanding.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses included:
- Courses and seminars in major subject (Physics, Chemistry or Molecular Biology
- Courses and seminars in minor subject (Physics, Chemistry, Molecular Biology)
- Project work in major subject
- Project work in minor subject
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Direct admission to the master’s program is possible if you hold a Bachelor’s degree in nanosciences from the University of Basel or with the proof of equivalent academic achievements.
- After registering with the Student Administration Office, the relevant board will review your application documents.
- If you hold a bachelor’s degree from a different university or in a subject other than nanosciences, the Faculty responsible may only partially recognize it as equivalent. In this case, admission to the master’s program may require the applicant to obtain further credits (up to a maximum of 30 credits) from the bachelor’s degree program in nanoscience.
International1538 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 769 EUR per semester during 18 months.
National1538 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 769 EUR per semester during 18 months.
- CHF 850 per semester
Living costs for Basel
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.