Phenomena and traditions occurring in the context of religion are reflected upon in terms of philosophical standards of rationality. On the one hand, this process is based on the discussion of central problems of theoretical and practical philosophy. On the other hand, it grounds on an exemplary investigation of topics crucial to theology and religious studies respectively. Thus, the Philosophy of Religion programme offered by Goethe University Frankfurt shows an interdisciplinary design. Furthermore it is characterized by its claim to consider continental approaches as well as analytic approaches that dominate the philosophical landscape in the Anglo-American world.
In course of its first phase, the Master’s program trains the skill of precise analysis, reconstruction and discussion of concepts and arguments brought forward in the Philosophy of Religion. The second phase of the program highlights the capacity to elaborate and defend a self-contained philosophical position. By teaching these key competences, the Master’s Program prepares its graduates for a broad area of qualified jobs. They fulfill the requirements of professions in university and higher education. At the same time, they have access to non-philosophical jobs in business and public society that demand a conclusive assessment of complex problems raised within an intercultural and multi-religious society.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Introduction to Systematic Theology
- Martin Luther - The Reformation Principles [Core Issues of Dogmatics]
- From Origen to Paul Tillich: Classics of Christian Theology
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics Religious Studies & Theology View 14 other Masters in Philosophy & Ethics in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor degree or equivalent first professional degree. In case the major of the Bachelor degree is not Philosophy, basic knowledge in Philosophy has to be proven according §7 (2) of the Examination Regulations.
- proof of English language skills (level B2)
- Applicants with an international university entrance qualification and Bachelor's degree must prove sufficient German language skillsaccording to the regulations of the Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang (DSH), the German language test for university entrance.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
Semester fee: 369 EUR
Living costs for Frankfurt am Main
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.