*This programme profile is financed by Dora Plus Action 4: Marketing of study and employment opportunities in Estonia (European Regional Development Fund).
The programme provides a broad knowledge of biochemistry, physiology, and metabolism, which underpins clinical provision. The study format includes lectures, seminars and practical work.
Why study Clinical Nutrition at the University of Tartu ?
- The University of Tartu belongs to the top 1.2% of the world's universities (300th position in the QS World University Rankings 2022).
- After completing the master's degree in Clinical Nutrition, you will become a specialist who can effectively combine clinical and basic scientific knowledge to create nutritional plans and optimise patient care.
- Anyone with a bachelor's degree or the equivalent in any health-related field and good English is eligible. Previous experience may be clinical, laboratory, public health or purely scientific.
- This programme is the only one of its kind in the European Union.
- The university has modern, state-of-the-art facilities in various buildings in Tartu. Most of the courses take place on the medical campus, about 2 km from the city centre, in the Tartu University Hospital or the Biomeedikum research and education building. Occasionally there will be lectures and seminars in the more historic university buildings in the city centre.
Malnutrition and the increasing problems associated with obesity indicate a growing clinical need for relevantly educated professionals. Completing the master's degree will provide the necessary knowledge and skills to develop clinical nutrition in hospitals, family practices, nursing homes, sports medicine, public health, and the food industry. There is currently a great need for academically certified specialists in much of Europe. Fulfilling the Clinical Nutrition master's programme should be career-enhancing.
University of Tartu Institutional Accreditation 2015-2022: The Quality Assessment Council for Higher Education of the Estonian Quality Agency for Higher and Vocational Education decided to accredit the University of Tartu for seven years.
The next accreditation will be conducted in 2022.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Examples of courses:
- Introduction to Clinical Nutrition
- Introduction to Clinical Science
- Metabolic Response to Stress
- Nutrition in Gastrointestinal Disorders
- Disordered Fluid Balance
- Metabolic Syndrome and Obesity, Sport and Nutrition, and Anorexia Nervosa
- Breaking News in Clinical Nutrition
Students must have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification in the field of health sciences.
The founder and lead lecturer of the programme is Professor Alastair Forbes, who previously established a clinical nutrition course at UCL, London.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHuman Medicine Nutrition & Dietetics Health Sciences
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification (must be obtained by the end of July) in the field of health sciences
- English language proficiency – this programme requires English proficiency at C1 level.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International5000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5000 EUR per year during 24 months.
National5000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5000 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Tartu
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
There are no tuition waivers.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.