Aim of the European Master in Archaeological Materials Science (ARCHMAT) Programme at Sapienza University of Rome is to provide students with specialized skills in the analytical characterization and conservation of archaeological and Cultural Heritage materials.
ARCHMAT provides a common, integrated platform for excellent students to meet international experts on different topics in Archaeometry, thus promoting an enriching multisectoral, multicultural, and interdisciplinary experience.
- Archaeometry and Cultural Heritage PhD courses in Europe and worldwide
- Private sector (Restoration SMEs, private profession)
- Scientific Laboratories of Museums and other Governmental Institutions
- International Organizations devoted to the Protection of Cultural Heritage.
The Erasmus Mundus ARCHMAT Master Degree is a Joint Programme fully accredited in the three Degree-awarding countries (Portugal, Greece and Italy) by the respective National Accreditation Agencies.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Curriculum and Mobility
- ARCHMAT involves mobility of one semester at each of the three degree-awarding Universities (Portugal, Greece and Italy), followed by a fourth semester of master thesis work in any of the three leading Universities, with the option of secondments at any of the associated Institutions.
- The first semester in Évora is characterized by introductory Science courses to students with Humanities background and introductory Archaeology Courses to students with Science background, complemented by fieldwork activities. The ECTS in the second (Thessaloniki) and third (Rome) semester are earned by successfully completing highly specialized courses with increasing complexity and laboratory workload involvement in Archaeometry, focusing on three different historical periods: a) Prehistory-Megalithic, b) Greek, and c) Roman classical periods.
ARCHMAT provides a common, integrated platform for excellent candidates from any country in the world coming from either Science or Humanities educational backgrounds to understand the advanced scientific methods used to investigate archaeological materials and aims to form highly specialized professional experts in the emerging field of Archaeometry and Cultural Heritage materials.
University of Evora (Portugal)
- Nick Schiavon
- Antonio Candeias
- Cristina Barrocas Dias
Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (Greece)
- Panagiotis Spathis
- Eleni Pavlidou
- Vassilios Melfos
Sapienza University of Rome
- Donatella Magri
- Emanuela Borgia
- Mary Anne Tafuri
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
Online Applications are available only at the following link: http://www.erasmusmundus-archmat.uevora.pt/candidatures/applicationForm
DisciplinesChemistry Earth Sciences Archaeology View 6 other Masters in Archaeology in Italy
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
Student profileThe ARCHMAT Program is open to excellent candidates holding a Bachelor’s degree (I cycle equivalent - 180 ECTS) from either Science (Physics, Earth Sciences, Chemistry, Biology, Biochemistry, Engineering) or Humanities (Archaeology, Conservation Science, Cultural Heritage Studies, Architecture, Art History) backgrounds. Scholarships may be available.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International5000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2500 EUR per semester during 24 months.
EU/EEA5000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2500 EUR per semester during 24 months.
- University fee
- Summer school
- Course exams
- Thesis project
- Local language support
- Two-year Student Insurance
- Administrative expenditures
- Laboratory Analytical Costs
Living costs for Roma
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
The awarding of a limited number of EU funded scholarships to top ranked candidates to attend the 2022-2024 edition of the ARCHMAT program is pending evaluation by the EACEA agency of the European Commission of an application for renewed funding submitted by the ARCHMAT Consortium whose result is expected to be published in August 2022.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
This programme is taught in different countries. Which country are you interested in?
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.