It is intended for you who have a passion to perform on stage, conveying opera through your singing. If you wish to develop yourself as a singer in this multifaceted art form, this is the perfect course for you!
At the Mälardalen University, the Chamber Opera programme has a holistic view of what an opera singer needs in their future profession.
This means that, apart from vocal coaching with your voice teacher, you will be given theatrical training and performance practice at the highest level. You will also be given valuable tools to help you shape your music-making and your artistic identity.
Apart from voice lessons and vocal coaching you will have lessons in fencing, stage fighting, dance, speech training, opera improvisation, languages, Art Song seminars, audition training , of course opera productions, and much more! You will also get an insight into the codes that apply in the singing profession, for example concert praxis, audition technique, choice of repertoire, dress code – everything to prepare you for your future working life as a professional opera singer.
During your education you will be taught by teachers and visiting lecturers who belong to the highest level of Swedish and international musical life. On a weekly basis you will have Individual voice lessons, individual coaching with pianists and joint lessons every week. You will learn how to portray different characters, convey emotions, thoughts and dramatic events.
As a student you will have the opportunity of attending dress rehearsals free of charge with the Västerås Sinfonietta (also concerts), the Royal Opera in Stockholm and the Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra.
Future and jobs
After the Chamber Opera education you are prepared to work as an opera- and/or concert singer at different sizes of opera- and concert houses and as a freeelancer. Or, if you prefer to continue studying, participating at an advanced level opera studio connected to an opera house.
Programme StructureTop marks from international voices
- Birgitta Svendén is one of the teachers who holds masterclasses at MDU. Previously she was Vice-Chancellor at the Stockholm University of the Arts and now is CEO and Artistic Director at the Royal Swedish Opera in Stockholm.
- Birgitta Svendén is an opera singer and has had a career on stage at many famous opera houses such as the Metropolitan Opera, La Scala, and Bayreuth amongst others.
- She is an honorary doctor at MDU. Liz Upchurch has also taught at MDU. She is a pianist and vocal coach at the Toronto opera, one of the world’s leading opera houses. She is very in demand as a vocal coach in Europe and North America.
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Submit electronic application
- Submit your documents
- Make sure your application is complete
International22558 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11279 EUR per semester during 12 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per semester during 12 months.
120 000 SEK / semester
Living costs for Västerås
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.