The Languages and Cultures of Africa programme offered at Saint-Petersburg State University is aimed at training specialists with an in-depth knowledge in the field of African culture in its various aspects. The graduates of the programme will be ready to continue their academic career in the largest scientific centres of Paris, Hamburg, Los Angeles, Moscow and St Petersburg.
The curriculum of the master’s programme is highly relevant not only to the graduate Africanists, but also to those who are experts in other fields, but are interested in acquiring an in-depth knowledge in African cultures.
Graduates of the programme may be much in demand for work in leading academic centres, international organisations and commercial companies. The benefit of this programme is the comprehensive set of courses in African languages and cultures.
- African geography and modern political situation
- African literatures in European languages
- African art
- Amharic, Bambana, Hausa, Swahili
- History of Africa
- Research Work
- Characteristics and Genres of African Folklore
- African Oral Tradition
- Islam in Africa
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Government-funded basis: 21 May
- Fee-paying (contractual) basis: 25 June
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Languages Literature View 3 other Masters in Literature in Russia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- An application form for an educational programme. The application is filled in and uploaded to the Personal Account
- An original Credential (document of education) and its supplements with grades/marks. The educational documents should be properly prepared to be submitted in the Russian Federation.
- A copy of an identity document. Please note that your passport should have validity of minimum 18 months at the time your studies at SPbU begin.
- Admissions tests for main programmes are in form of competitive selection of documents (Portfolio) except entry exams for Specialist degree program General medicine and Stomatology.
International4710 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4710 EUR per year during 24 months.
National3256 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3256 EUR per year during 24 months.
- For citizens of the Russian Federation and the Republic of Belarus: 271,600 rubles
- For international students including stateless persons: 392,900 rubles
Living costs for Saint Petersburg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.