The Strategic and Arms Control Studies programme offered at Saint-Petersburg State University is aimed at training non-military experts with the necessary knowledge to work in government agencies, international organisations, research centres and the media that are somehow related to the solution, study or coverage of military-political issues in present-day international relations. The scope of application of the acquired knowledge and skills is quite diverse: government agencies, the media, and research centres. The growing demand for such experts is currently determined by the fact that the reform of the armed forces in many countries at present presupposes a significant increase in civil-military cooperation. Graduates of the master's programme will also be in demand in various international organisations and research centres, including: the United Nations; the International Atomic Energy Agency; the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons; and Stockholm International Peace Research Institute.
Prospects for a future career in research and business
Students take an active part in: Moscow Nonproliferation Conference; and various guest lectures and workshops that are regularly organised as part of the programme.
Students enrolled in this master’s programme have an opportunity to do internships in Russian and international institutions, including:
- PIR Center (Moscow) and
- Vienna Center for Disarmament and Non-Proliferation (VCDNP).
Organisations where our graduates work:
- State Corporation Rosatom
- The Center for Strategic Research (CSR)
- ‘New Defence Order. Strategy’ journal
- Media group Mil.Press.
- Strategy and Politics in the 19th–21st Centuries
- General Principles and Methods of Strategic Analysis
- Nuclear Strategy and Arms Control
- Arms Control, Non-Proliferation and Disarmament
- Military Innovations and Strategy
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Government-funded basis: 21 May
- Fee-paying (contractual) basis: 25 June
DisciplinesInternational Relations Modern History Political Science
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- An application form for an educational programme. The application is filled in and uploaded to the Personal Account
- An original Credential (document of education) and its supplements with grades/marks. The educational documents should be properly prepared to be submitted in the Russian Federation.
- A copy of an identity document. Please note that your passport should have validity of minimum 18 months at the time your studies at SPbU begin.
- Admissions tests for main programmes are in form of competitive selection of documents (Portfolio) except entry exams for Specialist degree program General medicine and Stomatology.
Living costs for Saint Petersburg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.