The Department of History was established in the Savitribai Phule Pune University in 1969. Earlier, it was located in the Deccan College, but at that time, a separate Department was set up in the University of Pune for the study of Medieval and Modern Indian history, while Archaeology and Ancient Indian History remained with the Deccan College. This M.A. History programme is offered by Savitribai Phule Pune University.
What you will learn
The main interest area of the Department is Western Indian history, Medieval and Modern periods. The key areas of research include Maratha history, Maharashtra in the 19th century, and aspects of the social and economic history of western India.
In keeping with recent trends in history, areas of research have been expanded to include water management in the 18th century, urban history, maritime history and diplomatic history.
- History and its Theory
- Evolution of Ancient Indian Ideas and Institutions
- Cultural History of Maharashtra
- Social Background of the Dalit Movement in Maharashtra
- Gender and Indian History
- History of Environment and Ecology
- British Administrative Policies In India (1765-1892)
- History of Modern India (1857 – 1971)
- Archival Studies
- Urban History
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor's degree (1st, 2nd & 3rd year) marksheets - originals with photocopies
- Passport (first and last page copy)
- Visa copy
- Updated R.P. copy
- All documents need to be translated into English
- It is mandatory that the mark sheet is attested by the Ministry of Education or the Indian Embassy in your country or your Country Mission, i.e. your Embassy or Consulate in India.
- If the marksheet is from a Foreign University, an Association of Indian Universities (AIU) Equivalence Certificate is mandatory.
- English proficiency: all foreign students from non-English speaking countries have to take the English Proficiency Test (EPT)
International29 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29 USD per year during 24 months.
National29 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29 USD per year during 24 months.
- University entrance fee (International): $1097
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.