Women’s Studies is a relatively new and unique academic discipline. Scholars in women’s studies pose a philosophical challenge to all intellectual disciplines. They question the existing discipline-wise concepts, tools and techniques that justify the denial of equity for women and make them marginal and invisible. Their aim in formulating new definitions and methods is to assimilate gender consciousness into all knowledge systems. In the process, they expand the frontiers of knowledge about the multiple facets of societies and economies and give it the necessary critical edge.
The Krantijyoti Savitribai Phule Women's Studies Centre at Savitribai Phule Pune University invokes the ideals set by Savitribai Phule after whom it is named and seeks to deal consciously with the interlocking issues of gender, caste, class and region in all its programmes. The Centre has developed a unique pattern of doing women’s studies with teaching programmes at its core, building upon which are its research, publication and extension programmes.
This Gender, Culture and Development Studies degree at Savitribai Phule Pune University seeks to provide the participants the knowledge, skills and information in the field of gender, culture and development so as to enable them:
- to engage in research nationally and internationally in gender studies at the levels of policy and practice
- to work as gender experts in the fields of media- print and electronic- and that of information and communication technology
- to work in the development sector in various capacities, and to pursue career in the area of corporate social responsibility.
- Feminisms: Global and Local
- Development: Gender Perspectives
- Gendering Social History
- Legal Terrains: Gender Concerns
- Inequalities and Exclusions: Gender Perspectives
- Feminist Thought and Feminist Theory
- Gender, Culture and Development: Theoretical Perspectives
- Gender and Dalit Studies
- Conceptualizing Violence
- Theory of Gender in India
- Gender and Sexualities: Perspectives and Issues
- Caste and Gender: History and Memory
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Gender & Sexuality Studies Political Science View 29 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in India
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Graduate degree
- The intake capacity being limited, candidates will be selected through an Admission Test (Written and Interview) conducted by the Krantijyoti Savitribai Phule Women’s Studies Centre.
- English proficiency: all foreign students from non-English speaking countries have to take the English Proficiency Test (EPT)
International116 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 116 USD per year during 24 months.
National51 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 51 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State30 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30 USD per year during 24 months.
- Students from Maharashtra: Rs. 2195/-
- Outside Maharashtra: Rs. 3795/-
- SAARC countries: Rs.5395/- ($73)
- Foreign: Rs. 8595/-
- Entrance fee (International): $1097
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.