The syllabus of the Pali course at Savitribai Phule Pune University is designed in such a way that it gives holistic understanding of Buddhist literature along with its related fields such as: Comparative Linguistics and Philology, Philosophy (Indian and Western), Buddhist Art, Architecture and Epigraphy, Buddhist Psychology and Engaged Buddhism.
The course aims at providing a solid foundation in Buddhist literature, based on which students can pursue serious research in the field. It also prepares students for a bright academic career by enhancing their knowledge and capacities in different areas. Students completing this course together with a number of allied subjects mentioned above would have career openings in different fields, and could do groundbreaking work by connecting Buddhist literature with a number of other disciplines.
- To provide thorough understanding of Pali language and literature with the help of extensive textual study of different genres
- To help students acquire foundational skills in Sanskrit and Tibetan with the purpose of encouraging comparative study
- To enable students to explore the vast field of Buddhist studies covering various other disciplines such as Linguistics, Philosophy, Psychology, Sociology, History, Epigraphy etc.
- To inspire students to find out relevance of the ancient Buddhist wisdom in the modern world
- Elementary Course in Reading Pali
- Buddhism and its Socially Engaged Aspects
- Buddhist Art and Architecture
- Buddhist Epigraphy
- Buddhism and Indian Philosophy
- Comparative Linguistics
- Buddhist Classical Tibetan Reading
- Buddhism and Western Philosophy
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics Languages Literature View 13 other Masters in Philosophy & Ethics in India
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- B.A. with Pali / Sanskrit / Prakrit / Buddhist Studies as a special or general subject
- Or, B.A. in any subject with Advance Diploma or its equivalent in Pali / Sanskrit / Prakrit / Buddhist Studies
- Or, Graduate of any faculty with Higher Diploma or its equivalent in Pali / Sanskrit / Prakrit / Buddhist Studies
- English proficiency: all foreign students from non-English speaking countries have to take the English Proficiency Test (EPT)
International66 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 66 USD per year during 24 months.
National66 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 66 USD per year during 24 months.
- Students from Maharashtra: Rs. 3780
- Students outside Maharashtra: Rs. 5380
- University entrance fee (International): $1097
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.