- It has stirred a great excitement in medical research. Owing to advancement in the cellular and molecular technologies, there has been a remarkable surge on the information on various aspects of stem cell biology. The stem cells play a critical role in normal growth and development by providing new cells for replacing and repairing the damaged tissues. When a sperm to make a human embryo fertilizes an egg, the single fertilized egg cell divides millions of times to form the six billion or more cells that make up our bodies. Most of these cells undergo a process called differentiation, to enable them becoming specialized cells for carrying out different body functions. The Stem Cell Tissue Engineering and Biomedical Excellence programme is offered at the Panjab University.
- The studies documenting the feasibility of using stem cells to treat a broad spectrum of human diseases including multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer.s disease, cancer, type-1 diabetes, arthritis, burns, and spinal cord injury are therefore on rise beside using them as drug targets and/or the vehicles. The stem cells are also being used in basic research laboratories to help elucidate fundamental concepts in molecular, cellular, and developmental biology.
- In spite of the directed efforts in delineating various complexities which these cell types pose, the field is still largely in its infancy. Each passing day is filled with numerous challenges, which beacons the scientists to explore this field of biology with greater impetus. The use and management of stem cells in the laboratory is no doubt difficult and arduous. It hence depends heavily on the trained personnel to understand the intricacies associated with the use and maintenance of these cell types for future therapeutic interventions. The academia and industry both rely upon the trained scientists and technically sound professionals who could take the challenges and provide the ways to use these cells for many of the Human ailments
- The Panjab University, therefore, provides an excellent opportunity to the students to make their career in the field of stem cell biology by pursuing M.Sc. degree course in Stem cell and Tissue Engineering. The course module in this subject have been planned so as to equip the students both with the sound background in the theoretical as well as experimental aspects of the stem cell and tissue engineering.
- Additionally, the students will also learn the laboratory management programs and various ethical issues that concern the stem cell and tissue engineering research. The students will be encouraged to build up their research acumen by developing individualized projects using different types of stem cells, experimental approaches and human disease models (rodents).
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBio & Biomedical Engineering Molecular Sciences General Engineering & Technology View 12 other Masters in Bio & Biomedical Engineering in India
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Students securing 50% marks in B.Sc. General/LifeSciences/BasicMedical
- Science/Engineering (Biotech/Biomedical)/Pharmaceutical
- Biotechnology/Dentistry/Medical Laboratory Technology are eligible to apply for the admission to M.Sc. in Stem Cell & Tissue Engineering.
International2643 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2643 USD per year during 24 months.
National2643 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2643 USD per year during 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.