- The Department offers teaching and research programs for M.A., M. Phil. and Ph.D. levels. At the Master's level a wide spectrum of courses spread over a period of four semesters are offered in order to equip the students to pursue specialization in areas of their interest. Course curriculum has both academic as well as societal relevance and incorporates contemporary debates.
- Some of the courses are required courses aimed at providing strong theoretical and methodological base while others are open courses, which also include courses pertaining to thrust areas identified by the UGC like Family and Gender Studies, Development and Social Change, Urban and Population Studies, State and Society. Students are required to complete 16 courses (four courses each semester) equivalent to 64 credit hours to achieve the Master's degree. Every year a student of the department who obtains the highest marks in M.A. I is awarded Baba Prithvi Singh Azad scholarship worth Rs.300/- per month for ten months.
- For M.Phil. Sociology programme students at the Panjab University are given extensive course work during two semesters and each student is to complete a dissertation. This course lays strong foundation for undertaking Ph.D. studies. At present more than 20 students from different parts of the country have been enrolled for the Ph.D. programme with the faculty members in the department. Foreign nationals under the exchange programme are also pursuing research for Doctoral Degree under the guidance of senior faculty members.
- The Department of Sociology has a very long tradition for regularly holding Regional, National and International seminars, workshops and symposia. For the last 40 years continuously, the 'Wednesday Seminar'has been the hallmark of the Department bringing together scholars, professionals and social activists interested in sociologically relevant issues as initiators of the deliberations, which are widely attended by faculty and students from different departments apart from eminent specialists in various fields.
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- M.A. 55% and Entrance test of Panjab University
- Wherever for admission, Bachelor’s Degree is the minimum requirement, it shall mean the first degree obtained under 10+2+3 scheme. The first degree obtained under the old scheme (14-year course) till April, 1995 will be treated at par with the first degree under 10+2+3 scheme for the purpose of admission to these courses
- Every candidate must apply for the Reserved / Additional Category(ies) to which he/she belongs to in the Admission Form. All candidates will be considered in the General Category irrespective of the fact that they have claimed for admission under Reserved/ Additional Categories. No candidate shall be considered for admission against any Reserved Category (ies) for which he/she has not applied. (As per Important dates at Page No. 21-22)
- All information relating to admission shall be uploaded on the Online Notice Board of the concerned department as well as on the Physical Notice Board.
International86 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 86 USD per year during 12 months.
National86 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 86 USD per year during 12 months.
- Rs. 6380
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.