To achieve "industrial transformative innovation", ISD aims at bolstering the most cutting-edge and competitive industries enabled by advanced technologies and processes such as AI, industry 4.0, robotics and AIoT (AI+IoT), through systemic design innovations.
A combination of theory, planning strategies, research and technical skills provide the foundation for studios that explore emerging aspects of user experience (UX) and interaction design, based on human needs and pleasures as well as technological development.The aims of this Intelligent Systems Design program from PolyU Design are:
- to nurture creativity and design ability of the students by enabling them to embrace intelligent also systemic approaches;
- to develop students' awareness of present and emerging technologies in the innovation industry and advanced manufacturing (e.g. industry 4.0) environment; and
- to promote an understanding of the supporting marketing and business practices; and
- to enhance the awareness of the impact of designed objects on human, social, environmental, and global domains through developing more responsible, transparent, and ethical design processes.
The Master of Design (Intelligent Systems Design) (ISD) is directed at students who have a passion for people and technology, and are curious about the future and willing to shape it through design. In principle, ISD is open to all the talents who can innovate masterfully within this broad spectrum, who have a perspective, who will search out where the wicked challenges are and who are willing to be the future agents of change.
ISD students take advantage of the legacy education and culture from its predecessor, MDes (Interaction Design), and of the specifically tailored technological learning environments supporting non-STEM background students. Those with a Bachelor's degree in design (interaction, user experience (UX), graphic communication, product or industrial), STEM, communication, or even psychology and anthropology may find ISD to be the next step in their professional development.
- The Master of Design (Intelligent Systems Design) (ISD) is structured by a combination of intensively taught subjects that directly support the ISD Studios and Lab Studies.
- The ISD Studios take various forms, covering individual work to teamwork, and self-initiated to externally sponsored projects.
- The Lab Studies provide a unique platform for students: to be involved in the "real-world" research projects, to have access to the lab equipment which are normally more research-oriented, technologically-advanced and hands-on compared with classroom teaching materials, and to work together with more established and experienced researchers in the field.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesIndustrial & Systems Engineering Industrial Design Design View 15 other Masters in Industrial & Systems Engineering in Hong Kong (SAR)
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A Bachelor's degree or equivalent in design, STEM, or in a related discipline, e.g. communication, psychology or anthropology, is required. Candidates with other tertiary qualifications complemented by substantial relevant professional experience will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
International23508 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 653 EUR per credit during 12 months.
National20556 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 571 EUR per credit during 12 months.
Tuition: HK$4,850 per credit for local students; HK$5,550 per credit for non-local students
Living costs for Kowloon
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.