Women’s Studies of Bharathiar University is the most unconventional and a new entrant into the academia. The Centre for Women’s Studies of Bharathiar University was started in December 2004 and it was upgraded to Department of Women’s Studies in May 2008. It has been funded by the University Grants Commission. It aims to develop socio- economic empowerment of women of all categories in order to create a society of gender equality and social justice. Women’s studies is a scholarly enquiry into social reality from women's perspective and tries to find explanations and remedies for the unequal position of women in the society.
Programme Specific Outcomes (PSOs)After the successful completion of the Women's Studies MA programme offered at Bharathiar University, students are expected to:
- The students study about gender and social Institutions in both Indian and International scenario. They learn to analyze the influence of socio economic background to understand gender and social institutions.
- The student involves in development of various practical skills, enabling them to play an effective role in policy making for the society, particularly at the grassroots level.
- The student is introduced to women entrepreneurship career objectives, planning and execution of an enterprise and its benefits.
- The student is trained to do gender analysis, gender audit, and gender budgeting, advocacy and lobbying.
- The student acquires knowledge on women welfare laws, their implementation, involvement of media in women work and lifestyle, Cyber related crimes against women and laws for protection are being well informed.
- The student is educated to understand about the dimensions of women empowerment and women development.
- The student’s gains knowledge on comprehensive profile of the health status of women in various life stages and knowledge about attitudes, behavior and health needs of women, laws to protect women’s health in the society.
- The student acquires the knowledge on women education, history of women development and current status of women.
- The student understands the administrative functions and operation mechanisms of NGOs involved in sensitizing women development programme and understand the human resource planning in NGOs.
- The student develops various practical skills like role of NGOs in society, structure of NGOs, and development of NGOs.
- Women’s Studies
- Feminist Research Methodology
- Gender and Social Institutions
- Gender and Society
- Women and Media
- Counseling and Guidance
- Social Problems and Welfare Status of Women
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesGender & Sexuality Studies Sociology Media Studies & Mass Media View 12 other Masters in Media Studies & Mass Media in India
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- A pass in any UG degree from recognized University.
- The candidates have to pay the Registration Fee of Rs.400/- through net banking / Debit / Credit Cards/DD/NEFT. SC/ST candidates have to pay only Rs.200/- provided they have to produce a photo copy of his/her community certificate. The online filled in application form shall be completed in all respects and the soft copy can be downloaded. Those who are making online payment need not send the hard copy of the application.
- The application may be filled online at https://admissions.b-u.ac.in the guidelines for filling up the online application is available at www.b-u.ac.in
International375 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 750 USD for the full programme during 24 months.
- National tuition fee: INR2,200/semester ($30)
Living costs for Coimbatore
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.