The Department of Mathematics was established in 1978 as the Department of Applied Mathematics in the erstwhile Post Graduate Centre of University of Madras. Later in 1982 when Bharathiar University was formed by the Government of Tamil Nadu the Department came under the Bharathiar University. In 2002 the Department was recognized by UGC as a DRS Center for a period of five years under its Special Assistance Program (SAP). The status has been extended to the next five years through UGC DRS Phase II (2007-2012). This is the first Department in this University to get the second phase. The Department offers M.Sc., M.Phil. and Ph.D. programmes in Mathematics with more emphasis on Applied Mathematics. The areas of specialization of the faculty members are Partial Differential Equations, Fluid Dynamics, Control Theory and Abstract Differential Equations. The Department is sanctioned with seven faculty members in different cadres. Currently the Department has two permanent faculty members.
Programme Outcomes (POs)Successful completion of the Mathematics MSc programme offered at Bharathiar University:
- Inculcates mathematical reasoning among students
- Makes students understand fundamental axioms and develop ideas based on them
- Equips students analyze and write logical arguments to prove mathematical concepts
- Equips students with advanced knowledge and insight in mathematics
- Equips students with different types of problem solving methods
- Moulds students communicate mathematical ideas precisely
- Enhances professional skills in mathematics and some specialized areas of applied
- Equips students with mathematical and computational skills so that they can later get involved in independent research
- Produces professionals who can work on real life and challenging problems
- Moulds students prepare a written report on technical mathematical content with clarity and coherence
- Real Analysis
- Ordinary Differential Equations
- Optimization Techniques
- Measure and Integration
- Partial Differential Equations
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMathematics Applied Mathematics Financial Mathematics View 7 other Masters in Financial Mathematics in India
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- A pass in B.Sc. Mathematics (or) B.Sc. Mathematics with Computer Applications or equivalent thereof.
- The candidates have to pay the Registration Fee of Rs.400/- through net banking / Debit / Credit Cards/DD/NEFT. SC/ST candidates have to pay only Rs.200/- provided they have to produce a photo copy of his/her community certificate. The online filled in application form shall be completed in all respects and the soft copy can be downloaded. Those who are making online payment need not send the hard copy of the application.
- The application may be filled online at https://admissions.b-u.ac.in the guidelines for filling up the online application is available at www.b-u.ac.in
International375 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 750 USD for the full programme during 24 months.
- National tuition fee: INR2,640/semester ($35)
Living costs for Coimbatore
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.