The Department of Botany was instituted in the Postgraduate Centre of the University of Madras in 1972. The Department is offering M.Sc. in Plant Science, M.Phil. and Ph.D. programmes in Botany in the fields of Mycology, Microbiology, Plant Physiology, Nutraceuticals and Phytomedicine, Tissue culture and Reproductive Biology, Genetics and Plant Breeding and Plant systematics.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs)PEOs of the Botany MSc programme offered at Bharathiar University describe accomplishments that graduates are expected to attain within five to seven years after graduation:
- Graduates are to ensure an up-to-date level of understanding of the concept of basic and applied Botany to nurture the value of plants.
- Graduates should apply the major concepts and principles from different branches of biological sciences to explain plant-related phenomena.
- Graduates may articulate the importance of plants in terms of environment, agriculture, medicine and food.
- Graduates are professionally competent to solve problems in a sustainable environment; to conserve the endangered and economically important plant species.
- Graduates demonstrate proficiency in theory and practice of various experiments through the life-long learning process and to make them global builders.
- Graduates perform their competency with professional ethics in their working place.
- Graduates address the major concerns of our society and to create extension activities with linkage to community benefits.
- Graduates inculcate higher education and research culture at a global level through the continuous learning process and to strive hard in society.
- Graduates develop problem-solving skills during experiments and operating various equipment.
- Graduates understand the entrepreneurship skills of various ventures in Botany using plant resources, biological techniques and marketing of bioproducts.
- Plant Physiology
- Anatomy, Embryology and Morphogenesis of Angiosperms
- Cytology, Genetics and Plant breeding
- Plant Biochemistry
- Molecular Biology & Plant Biotechnology
- Taxonomy of Angiosperms and Economic Botany
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Molecular Sciences Plant & Crop Sciences View 5 other Masters in Plant & Crop Sciences in India
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- A pass in B.Sc. Botany (or) Plant Science (or) Plant Biology and Plant Biotechnology.
- The candidates have to pay the Registration Fee of Rs.400/- through net banking / Debit / Credit Cards/DD/NEFT. SC/ST candidates have to pay only Rs.200/- provided they have to produce a photo copy of his/her community certificate. The online filled in application form shall be completed in all respects and the soft copy can be downloaded. Those who are making online payment need not send the hard copy of the application.
- The application may be filled online at https://admissions.b-u.ac.in the guidelines for filling up the online application is available at www.b-u.ac.in
International375 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 750 USD for the full programme during 24 months.
- National tuition fee: INR2,640/semester ($35)
Living costs for Coimbatore
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.