The Department of Linguistics since its inception in the year 1985 has been striving hard for the development of Dravidian Languages spoken in this area in general and Tamil language in particular. The Department has conducted a number of seminars, workshops, symposia, mass media, communication, language teaching, tribal literacy, translation & lexicography, computational linguistics, stylistics and language for science and technology. It has conducted 5 refresher courses in Linguistics and several orientation programmes for college and school teachers. This Department, besides involving in teaching activities, has produced 40 Ph.D. degrees on various topics related to language, literature and culture and 150 M.Phil. degrees. In addition to these several didactic activities the Department is actively engaged in the promoting various specific activities listed below such as literacy, language teaching, development of language for specific purpose, translation and so on.
Program Outcomes (POs)On successful completion of the Linguistics MA programme offered at Bharathiar University:
- Students can understand the nature and function of language in terms of sound, structure and meaning.
- Students can get familiarity with the basic concepts and assumptions of different theoretical frameworks of linguistics discipline, and obtain the ability to critically question and evaluate these assumptions.
- Integrate relevant knowledge to establish a foundation for advanced researches in indigenous languages and people.
- Grasp the complexity of language as a communication system shaped by cognitive, biological, cultural, and social factors.
- Students can employ their linguistic knowledge and skills in teaching, training and linguistics researches at further studies.
- Can engineer the mechanics of language through various linguistic components so as to employ them in Natural language processing.
- Demonstrate the in depth knowledge and understanding of the concepts, theories, and methodologies proposed by linguists in Linguistics and its different applied and subfields.
- Students can apply their linguistic knowledge to enhance their writing activities and also to improve their understanding on psycho-socio skills in inter and intralingual communicative contexts.
- Students can attain a comprehensive understanding of the basic principles of research in theoretical and descriptive linguistics.
- Understand and demonstrate the technical vocabulary and theoretical tools of the field, necessary to read published linguistic research.
- Phonetics and Phonology
- Language Teaching Methods
- Language and communication
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Teaching Linguistics View 34 other Masters in Language Studies in India
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- A Pass in any UG Degree from recognized University.
- The candidates have to pay the Registration Fee of Rs.400/- through net banking / Debit / Credit Cards/DD/NEFT. SC/ST candidates have to pay only Rs.200/- provided they have to produce a photo copy of his/her community certificate. The online filled in application form shall be completed in all respects and the soft copy can be downloaded. Those who are making online payment need not send the hard copy of the application.
- The application may be filled online at https://admissions.b-u.ac.in the guidelines for filling up the online application is available at www.b-u.ac.in
International375 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 750 USD for the full programme during 24 months.
- National tuition fee: INR2,640/semester ($35)
Living costs for Coimbatore
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.