The department of Bio-Technology was instituted in 1990 with two faculty members. The department is offering M.Phil. and Ph.D. programmes in the field of Enzyme Technology and Microbial Bio-Technology. In foster research and development activities in major thrust areas like Translational Research, Molecular Toxicology, Plant Metabolic Engineering, Molecular Microbiology, Plant Genetic Engineering, and Molecular Therapeutics. The department is engaged in various innovative projects in the disciplines mentioned, funded by different agencies like DRDO, DBT, UGC, DST, CSIR, TNCSTE, UKIERI, DIPAS and AICTE. To cap, our department is identified for financial assistance by DST-FIST and UGC-SAP (Phase II) Program. The teaching faculties of the department consist of five Assistant Professors from different fields of Biotechnology and one Assistant Professor under UGC Faculty Recharge Program since 2014.
Along with the research, it also conducts PG course in Biotechnology. This department has produced 68 Doctrates; 82 M.Phils and 234 postgraduates in the field of Biotechnology and the department is thriving towards the Silver jubilee year.
Program Outcomes (POs)
On successful completion of the Biotechnology MSc programme offered at Bharathiar University:
- Imparting knowledge- students gain knowledge in different areas of Biotechnology
- Critical thinking – students think critically regarding the applicability of the subject knowledge to address the existing problems at the local and global level
- Application of Scientific skills – students will use the acquired scientific skills for industry application
- Inculcating Research aptitude – develop competency to carry out research with their ability to design and execute the experiments
- Developing skill sets- Technical skill to use various sophisticated equipments to address complex biological problems using biotechnology.
- Ethical practices & Social responsibility- Students gain contextual knowledge to assess the ethical issues pertaining to society, health, safety, legal and cultural aspects related to Biotechnology.
- Project Conceptualization - Students conceive research problems and carry out research projects independently in specialized areas of Biotechnology
- Report writing – Students analyse results and translate research outcome into scientific reports.
- Demonstrate the effective communication skills for interaction with personnel as well as presentation in appropriate forums
- Inculcate innovative thinking to identify the sources of business opportunities
- And develop entrepreneurial skills for bio entrepreneurship
- Cell and Molecular Biology
- Developmental Biology and Physiology
- Recombinant DNA
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- A Pass in Bachelors Degree with minimum 60% marks in any branch of Life Sciences/Biological Sciences (Botany, Zoology, Microbiology, Genetics, Biomedical Genetics), Agriculture, B.Tech in Biotechnology, Biomedical Engineering, MBBS/BDS, B.V.Sc., B.Pharm.,
- The candidates have to pay the Registration Fee of Rs.400/- through net banking / Debit / Credit Cards/DD/NEFT. SC/ST candidates have to pay only Rs.200/- provided they have to produce a photo copy of his/her community certificate. The online filled in application form shall be completed in all respects and the soft copy can be downloaded. Those who are making online payment need not send the hard copy of the application.
- The application may be filled online at https://admissions.b-u.ac.in the guidelines for filling up the online application is available at www.b-u.ac.in
International375 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 750 USD for the full programme during 24 months.
- National tuition fee: INR5,280/semester ($71)
Living costs for Coimbatore
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.