The students are also required to critically engage with some of the core concepts of philosophy and methods of philosophical enquiry through an in-depth study of identified essential texts in philosophy.
- After the successful completion of course work, they are required to write a dissertation in an area of their chosen research interest with guidance from faculty member(s) as supervisor(s).
- The M.Phil. Philosophy programme from Jawaharlal Nehru University is of four semester duration, consisting of 24 credits—16 credits for the course work and 8 credits for the dissertation.
- The course work consists of 2 core courses of 4 credits each and 2 optional courses, also of 4 credits each. Every student is required to take two core courses in the first semester and two optional courses in the second semester.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Concepts in Philosophy
- Philosophical Method
- Philosophy of Action
- Philosophy of Social Sciences
- Existential Phenomenology and Its Engagements
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- The selection of candidates for the M.Phil./Ph.D. programme is carried out at two levels: first, the screening of candidates through a written examination conducted in various Centres in India and South Asia during the month of May and second, a viva-voce at the centre in the early part of July for those who qualify in the written examination.
- The written examination carries a total of 75 marks while the viva-voce carries a total of 25 marks.
- The applicants will be examined in the themes and issues covered in a standard M.A. philosophy courses in Indian universities. The candidates will be tested for their in-depth understanding of philosophical issues, methods and texts.
- They are expected to be familiar with the debates in contemporary philosophy and with debates that are interdisciplinary in character having a bearing on philosophical inquiry. The candidates are required to bring a well-written research proposal at the time of viva-voce.
International2200 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1100 USD per semester during 24 months.
- 216 RS - national
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.