Since philosophical inquiry is not isolated, but rooted in the basic questions of other academic disciplines, and social life, students will be encouraged to comprehend the interdisciplinary and foundational character of philosophical studies.
They will also be trained to identify and appreciate the sources of philosophical questions and puzzles in our reflections on language, thought, knowledge and values.
- The Philosophy programme from Jawaharlal Nehru University reviews and attempts to overcome the received binaries and dichotomies such as study of philosophy in terms of geographical and civilizational divisions, intra disciplinary segregations like analytic philosophy and phenomenology, metaphysics and epistemology, moral and social philosophy, etc.
- An intensive study of philosophical texts for a critical appraisal of concepts and arguments used by philosophers, and writing of philosophical essays is an integral part of the programme.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Philosophy of Social Sciences
- Philosophy of Language
- Readings in 20th Century Indian Philosophy
- Readings in Analytic Philosophy and Phenomenology
- Contending Theories on Justice
- Philosophical Discourses on Modernity and Postmodernity
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics View 9 other Masters in Philosophy & Ethics in India
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- The selection of candidates for M.A. in Philosophy is done through a written examination conducted in various Centres in India and South Asia during the month of May every year.
- The applicants for the M.A. programme will be examined in the themes and issues studied in a standard B.A. philosophy course in Indian universities.
- The minimum eligibility criterion of a prospective candidate should be an undergraduate degree (equivalent to Bachelor's degree) under 10+2+3 pattern of education with at least 50% mark in case of the candidates from the field of Social Sciences and Humanities, and 55% marks in case of the candidates from fields of Sciences and Technology.
- The admission test will carry a total of 100 marks. The purpose of the test is to select those candidates who are capable of demonstrating philosophical aptitude, analytical skills and ability for original thinking.
International2200 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1100 USD per semester during 24 months.
- 216 RS - national
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.