At present none of the Central universities in the city or in the country are offering an interdisciplinary MA Programme in Development and Labour Studies from Jawaharlal Nehru University. Thus the proposed programme is a unique effort at combining the broad thematic parameters of the emerging disciplines development and labour studies.
Objectives of the Programme
- Preparing students to get interdisciplinary training to do doctoral research on contemporary issues pertaining to labour and informal sector.
- Providing an interdisciplinary perspective on the contemporary themes and issues on informality and labour drawing from the disciplines of history, economics, sociology and political science.
- Providing basic theoretical and empirical training to undertake an indepth analysis of the structural changes and public policy challenges that confront the labour in the informal sector in the contemporary world.
- Training students in development and labour studies so that they can develop leadership skills to work as professionals in these sectors.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Development: Concepts And Approaches
- Theoretical and Historical Perspectives on Labour
- Informal Sector: An Introduction
- Research Methods in Social Sciences
- Indian Economic Development: Selected Issues
- Production Conditions and Labour in Rural India
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Students with a bachelor degree in any discipline with minimum 50 per cent marks are eligible to apply. The applicants for the M.A. programme will be examined in the light of their knowledge on themes and issues studied in a standard social science bachelor programme.
- The purpose of entrance exam is to test the candidates' general awareness on issues related to development and labour studies, their capacity to comprehend and reflect on academic articles, and their ability in analytical reasoning on the contemporary issues of informal sector.
- The M.A. admission test will carry a total of 100 marks and students will be tested in the broad thematic areas of major social science disciplines: political economy, theories and contemporary history of development, development economics, sociological and political theories. The purpose of the test is to select candidates who demonstrate aptitude for analytical skills and ability for original thinking.
International2200 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1100 USD per semester during 24 months.
- 216 RS - national
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.