Japanese Language at Jawaharlal Nehru University was introduced in the Centre of Afro-Asian Languages (CAAL) in School of Language, Literature and Culture Studies in 1973 as a one year certificate course, which was upgraded into full-time five year integrated programme leading to M.A. degree in the next year.
- During the Cold War period there was not much interaction between India and Japan, be it in the realm of bilateral economic cooperation, trade or commerce or in the field of technology transfer, industrial cooperation and collaboration.
- But by the beginning of 1980's with a sudden improvement in Indo-Japanese relations, especially in the field of bilateral trade and technology transfer a spurt in the demand for Japanese Language experts was created and it has been gradually rising.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Social and Cultural Heritage
- Selected Texts – Prose
- A Survey of Pre-Modern Japanese Literature
- Social and Cultural Heritage of Japan
- Readings from Japanese Texts
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages View 34 other Masters in Language Studies in India
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Foreign Nationals applying for admission as self financing students are required to provide detail of the Bank account, etc. with their application forms and a certificate from their respective bankers to the effect that they have sufficient funds available in their bank account to sustain their studies in India for the duration of the programme.
International2200 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1100 USD per semester during 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.